Edgar Allan Poe | Teen Ink

Edgar Allan Poe

May 17, 2018
By HaleyMckoy BRONZE, Pleasant Grove , Alabama
HaleyMckoy BRONZE, Pleasant Grove , Alabama
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The writer of “The cask of Amontillado” Edgar Allan Poe has captured the audience's attention from a few different aspects. Edgar Allan Poe wrote many poems and short stories throughout his lifetime. The poems he has written has given the audience many different emotions while reading his creations. In the lifetime that he had to write these creations he has a unique way to catch the audience's attention, he uses tone and mood to mainly catch the audience's attention.

   

To start off with Edgar Allen Poe he had a unique style of suspense that caught everybody's attention. He did this by using descriptive writing when he would write his creations.  He gives little clues little by little to see what might happen next. From the first line of the story, the reader is hooked/ grabbed by the attention- on the very descriptive  first sentence"TRUE!—NERVOUS—VERY, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad?" This quote grabs the reader’s attention by leaving the reader’s something to figure out while they are reading.  Edgar Allan Poe has written his stories in his special way that always grabs the audience's attention.

  

Edgar Allan Poe not only uses the suspense style of writing he also uses drama and emotion. Poe’s stories tend to have a theme of loss of love, death or both. For example in “The Cask Of Amontillado”  opens with a first-person narrator who speaks his plan of action to kill Fouanato. The book states “ I must not only punish, but punish with impunity”. (Poe 144)  This shows that he needs to punish but punish without getting caught.  Another example is in the poem Annabel Lee is a dominant theme. In this poem, Poe has experienced the death of his true love.”And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling- my darling my life and my bride, in her sepulcher there by the sea”.  Which gave him depression because he actually felt loved and was having a nice life. Poe uses different style techniques in almost every poem, or short story, he has written to catch the attention of many.

 

Edgar Allan Poe also uses symbolism. He masters it in every work he has created. In “The Pit and the Pendulum”, the whole story symbolizes the dark and rough time in the torture chambers. In “The Black Cat”, the cat symbolizes a kinda hatred that people kept getting. In the story, His hatred toward the cat grows and he finally turns to drastic measures. In “The Tell-Tale Heart”, the beating heart represents a person’s conscience after they have done a terrible deed. “I felt that I must scream or die! and now-again!-hark! louder! louder! louder! Louder!” (The Tell-Tale Heart, NP) is an example of the beating heart. Edgar Allan Poe again uses his talent in every short story or poem he has made to add detail and to catch the reader's attention.

   

Throughout Edgar Allan Poe’s short stories and poems he has catches the reader’s attention in a unique style. When he does this he uses very descriptively writing details and imagery. He has achieved this in many diverse ways, from the abstract meaning of the word ‘Nevermore’ to the connotation of what a raven actually represents. He has proven this in the morbid and psychotic tone he presents his poem with, to the allusions connected to Roman gods and Greek mythology.  All of these styles together he catches the audience's attention very well for all ages.