Is It Time to Abolish Our Borders? | Teen Ink

Is It Time to Abolish Our Borders?

Enhancing borders has been a popular act for many periods of time, but is this the best way for a higher world GDP, a breakthrough in many industries, and a decrease in poverty? No. I’m certain that we need to do the opposite. Since I was a young, I love borders, seeing their effects and impact on Earth’s trillions of lives. However, when scrolling through social media recently, I keep finding myself researching about a borderless world, and every second that passes makes me want this to come true. This contentious idea becoming a reality is something only time can tell. Last year, Spain planned to strengthen their enclaves in Africa, Melilla and Ceuta, costing twelve million euros because of the shocking rise of migrants climbing the fence. This fence already increased in height in 2005, but today, immigrants still try to cross it, proving that reinforcing borders will not work as a long-term solution but will also waste money and resources that could’ve been used for more significant problems (The Local).

Emilio, a migrant from Cameroon, was trying to cross the Melilla border because of war back at his home country. By running hundreds of kilometers, he had reached the border where the circumstances seem nearly impossible. From his previous attempts, border guards gave him two scars, one from a stick with a nail on it, and the other one from a broken bottle. These guards, mostly Moroccan, made it clear to Emilio that they do not show mercy. “I almost died” Emilio said about his previous life-threatening failed attempts (Europe’s most fortified).
Human rights really are prioritized at these borders, right?

Bryan Caplin, an American economist, believes that removing borders can increase the world’s GDP twice of what it is right now. If we open up the borders, people with skills from countries incapable of performing those skills can easily move to somewhere else with the infrastructure and technology to pursue their career, contributing to the economy and allowing their abilities to be used most effectively (Tungekar). However, powerful leaders around the world today believe the complete opposite. Borders are great, well at least for the one percent of people around the world who are considered “rich”, but what about the rest? What about the people who are struggling in poverty? Money does not suddenly change your contribution to the society. Surprising?
Many industries today are stable and doing well, but a breakthrough can lead these industries to the next level. If trillions of individuals migrate into a country, won’t it lower salaries and wreck the economy?
Well, yes and no.

Sure, it will damage the economy for a while but the economy will recover and benefit in the long-run. “For anytime that there is an increase in productivity, anything, there’s always going to be some people that are hurt” Caplin stated about how progress works (Tungekar). With a higher population, there is a rapidly increasing demand for jobs, resulting in many startups and small companies that will eventually be a part of the country’s GDP. Because of these new companies and startups, competition will be high and that means there will cheaper prices and better efficiency. Isn’t this what we want? A pivotal growth and opportunity for the poor and a bit of benefits for the rich? In many ways, it is a win-win situation unless rich people’s selfishness found its way back.
In many ways, borders acted as the separation of the rich and the poor. Removing borders is opening a gateway for a new life, a hope for those who are failing. It creates so many new possibilities because the price of moving for a job isn’t as costly anymore. I guess what I’m trying to say is that life for millions wouldn’t be as painful, miserable and instead be happy and productive. We would see global happiness numbers overshoot our expectations in little to no time.

Borders have been around for centuries, and throughout history, they have proven themselves useful and effective, but today, they are not as impressive as they once were. As a civilian, I see the things the government needs to change, the things we need to grow, to succeed in the far future. But the leaders are not willing to take a risk that could improve all of humanity. Why wait? Security technology today are top notch, so what are we doing? Instead of separating those who just want to find a less miserable life from their nations, welcome them as a contribution to the economy. Quit waiting. We need to change.