Would Science and Maths Still Be Important Without the Arts? | Teen Ink

Would Science and Maths Still Be Important Without the Arts?

These days, some people think that arts are not important because according to the Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs (Simply Psychology),  arts are the last thing. Also, people claim that countries have to develop technology in order to be a more advanced country. They think that it is not late even if the countries subsidize technology first, and then later on the arts. Many people are being drawn to the field of maths and science, so the government should appropriate more money on maths and science, not the arts. However, maths and science would not be important as they are without the arts. While maths and science may be essential to those with a logical mind, should the government prioritize it over other creative subjects such as the arts?

Some people say that maths and science is as important as creativity while others believe otherwise. From the ancient times, people have been engaging in both. It’s like the human brain, which is divided into two main sides- artistic and logical sides. The left brain is supposed to be more creative and artistic, the right brain is more organized and logical (Live Science). If the logical side was more important, our brain would only have the logical side, not the artistic side. Some people also say that people today are more aware of the importance of this creative subject and even without the government supporting it, they are devoting their time and effort to spread it. Actually, advanced countries have the responsibility to restore, protect, and prolong art since they have the technology and resources to do so.

Probably most of you will know the country Korea. When someone asks you what made you to know about Korea, most of the people will say about Hallyu. “Hallyu is a Chinese term which, when translated, literally means “Korean Wave”. It is a collective term used to refer to the phenomenal growth of Korean culture and popular culture encompassing everything from music, movies, drama to online games and Korean cuisine” (Martin Roll). In my experience, most of the people I met got to know about Korea because of K-pop, and people were very interested to know more about the Korean culture. When I was in 5th grade, I made a new friend. She was Vietnamese. When we first saw each other, she was the one who talked to me first. Later on I asked to her why and she said that she is very interested in Korean since she loves K-pop. By this experience I noticed how k-pop has a global impact, not just only to the Koreans. Adding, “The Hallyu effect has been tremendous, contributing to 0.2% of Korea’s GDP in 2004, amounting to approximately USD 1.87 billion. More recently in 2014, Hallyu had an estimated USD 11.6 billion boost on the Korean economy” (Martin Roll). This shows that arts can benefit the country’s GDP rate.

Countries are developing a lot with technology. In the technology, it includes robots and many people are worrying about robots dominating humans. Once in Facebook, I have seen a article that explained how the robots were communicating with each other. According to Tech, robots can only think rationally and logically. Robot’s calculation is way faster than a human’s brain(Futurism), and even physically robots are stronger. There is less possibility of winning a robot logically and rationally. On the other hand, Robots do not have emotions which make them have lack of creativity. If the government support the arts, people’s creativity is going to improve a lot and the robots would not be able to rule humans.

People who claim that arts are not important are certainly wrong because arts are also related to science and maths. If arts are not subsidized by the government, people will have lack of creativity and ideas, so they would not be able to have advancement in technology later on. Also, would science and maths be significant even without the arts?