NRA and Hate | Teen Ink

NRA and Hate

By 22rbhattacharyya GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania
22rbhattacharyya GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania

Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken -Orson Scott Card

I am from Iran, I look like I am Hispanic, pretty much in the middle politically and a member of the NRA.

My real first name is Mohammad and every time I have called the NRA, they have been nothing but respectful and provided me with great service no matter the need.

Bottom line, just like most of the U. S., the NRA is mostly made up of nice folk who respect everyone, but also like the rest of what makes up what I loosely call news, you only here about the bad and what the media wants you to hear. Remember, if it bleeds then it leads.

There are hateful, racist, ignorant people in every circle, but it is never the majority unless you advertise it or promoted, which the news does. So people think all whites are racist, all blacks are criminals, all Hispanics are drug dealers, all Middle Easterners are terrorists and all NRA members are meat eating, and gun toting, redneck hicks.

As an American who is Iranian and looks Hispanic, I have had a few issues with ignorant people. But 99.9999% of the time I have been treated with respect by other Americans, law enforcement, TSA or whatever. Heck, I was on the do not fly list and got treated with more respect than the white, old gentleman they randomly picked to search.

Bottom line, I hope everyone wakes up and sees that the media and the government love keeping us at each other's throats, because if we actually stop fighting among ourselves and see what they are up to, they know we will vote them out of office.

What I recommend is find an NRA member, or just a gun enthusiast, in your area and ask him or her to take you shooting. Let them know you just want to learn what the fuss is all about and how NRA members actually are. I think you will find someone who might fall over themselves to show you what the truth is, and you never know, you might find a fun new hobby and a friend!

This article was not written by me but by one of my parent's co-workers who is a member of the NRA. He has given me permission to publish this piece. We always think the NRA is a hateful group but in fact it is a group of kind, nice people who just have different beliefs than you. There is no need to make that negative. If we cooperate between all of our beliefs, school shootings and gun violence can be solved.

thefreshman BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
I must say his is the first article that wasn't bashing either side on teen ink.