Choose a Side | Teen Ink

Choose a Side

February 7, 2018
By Anonymous

Did you know there has only been Democratic or Republican Presidents? The Democratic party is one of the two most well known party in America. It is also the oldest party in America. They would like to change laws and make them more flexible with the times. The Republican party is the other most well known party. The party is more conservative and wants to keep the laws the same.An Independent person is one who is apart from all the parties.They either agree with both beliefs or have a completely different ideas from the two parties. An Independent President would be the best choice for America right now because of the democratic and republican parties opinions on firearms and Foreign Policies just do not satisfy.
                     

The democratic view on firearms is “We recognize that the individual right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans' Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation. We understand the terrible consequences of gun violence; it serves as a reminder that life is fragile, and our time here is limited and precious. We believe in an honest, open national conversation about firearms. We can focus on effective enforcement of existing laws, especially strengthening our background check system, and we can work together to enact commonsense improvements--like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole--so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few.”(Democratic Party on Gun Control).This does not help solve the promblem of gun violence.Someone could lie about who they are,give the gun to someone else,etc.The republican view is that everything is fine when it is not.They saw the laws are okay now.”We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a right which antedated the Constitution and was solemnly confirmed by the Second Amendment. We acknowledge, support, and defend the law-abiding citizens God-given right of self-defense. We call for the protection of such fundamental individual rights recognized in the Supreme Court's decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago affirming that right, and we recognize the individual responsibility to safely use and store firearms. This also includes the right to obtain and store ammunition without registration. We support the fundamental right to self-defense wherever a law-abiding citizen has a legal right to be, and we support federal legislation that would expand the exercise of that right by allowing those with state-issued carry permits to carry firearms in any state that issues such permits to its own residents.” This does not satify ethier the gun violence will get worse.A independent president might have another way to help stop gun violence.But,than again some might say that the closet we can get to stopping gun violence is with the democratic party because they wish to stergthn gun laws and close loopholes.One cannot exactly take all the guns away because that would be impossible to do.Everyone who supports the firearms use will be angry and more than half of the country will be turned against them.But an idependent president can come up with his own idea and intorduce it and not have to worry about the support of its party belifs.
                    

The democratic views on the Foreign policies is “International institutions--most prominently the United Nations--have been a centerpiece of international order since the mid-20th century. And just as American leadership was essential to forging the architecture for international cooperation after WWII, the President and the Democratic Party are committed to modernizing its infrastructure for the 21st century--working to reform international bodies and strengthen national and multilateral capabilities to advance peace, security, and opportunity. We have restored America's leadership at the UN by cooperating with our partners there when we can and respectfully disagreeing with them when we must, reversing the previous administration's disdain for the UN. The President's leadership at the UN has enabled us to make real progress on a number of top national security priorities, including getting Russia and China on board to implement the toughest UN sanctions ever on Iran and North Korea.”(Democratic Party on Foreign Policy).

 

This does not satisfy either because you want to have a strong army but not scare the other countries into attacking us.The republican view is to pretty much scare them into submission but that most likely will not work. As said before they may attack us all together.
                    

In conclusion, neither democratic or republican views can satisfy all.EIther way some will be angry at what has happened.Therefore, electing a independent president would be the best way to deal with the problems in this country at this moment in time.Such as firearms and the foreign policies,and they can do much more.