If I Were Mayor | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor

November 30, 2017
By willm27 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
willm27 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I see the future of the community of Hartland in great standing as it already is in a good spot. If I were in the position as mayor of Hartland, I would start off by vetoing to change the gas prices and lowering them because they’re quite high. High gas prices can be a challenge for working families and can put them in a difficult position at times. But I think there is a bigger issue with a few areas here in Hartland, and that is the “almost invisible stop signs.” What I mean by that is there are places in Hartland where it’s very hard (besides the warning sign) to see the stop sign. This is typically because there is something blocking it and drivers cannot see the sign until it is too late. Right by the BP gas station in Hartland, there is a four way stop sign intersection on Capitol Drive. In that intersection is a line of bushes which block the person’s view from oncoming traffic. I think that this creates a hazard that is potentially significant and could cause an accident. There are also some places where a tree branch hangs low and will block the stop sign, causing the driver and possibly somebody else to be in danger. It’s such an easy fix, so why not fix this?


If I were mayor, I would change the times of when places closed and opened such as the library in Hartland. I think the library should be open later instead of closing at eight PM. It needs to stay open longer for at least one or two more hours each day because sometimes people need to use it at a later time. For example, my printer at my house was broken and it was around ten o’clock, and I needed to print something and did not have any place to go. On the topic of time, I believe there should be change with the curfew for persons under 18 in Hartland. The current curfew is 10:30 PM - 5:00 AM. As mayor, I would adjust that and change it to 11:00 PM - 5:00 AM disregarding kids going to and coming from school or work. It’s not a massive change, but something I feel needed.


These concerns, although they may appear to be small, would benefit Hartland and improve the overall community. By lowering gas prices and making them more affordable to families, we could help improve the quality of living and create a situation where families could take trips and have extra money to spend on things that they may enjoy. We also could improve the safety of the community by clearing out space around some of the hard to read stop signs so people can see more clearly and be much safer on the roads. Hartland is a great community and these simple changes could continue to help make Hartland a place where families want to be.