If I Were Mayor | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor

By anonwhoisthinking GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
anonwhoisthinking GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Almost every student walks into their school in the morning discouraged and tired. How would they react if their favorite classes weren’t cut, and schools were updated? As mayor of my town, I would make drastic educational changes that would influence the determination and interests of our students.

First and foremost, I would propose that our state budget focuses on education. Throughout the past couple of years, vital programs have been cut. This leaves students without classes that may interest them and that will prepare them for their future. Coming to school in the morning, students could have this class to look forward to. I am specifically looking to expand our art classes. These classes could fuel a student’s whole day. Taking that away from our future workforce is malicious.

To further this point, our students coming to school in the morning are not fully awake. Scientific American states that for high school students to have optimal brain functioning, schools should start around 8:50 a.m. Starting at this time would allow most teenage students to get the recommended nine to ten hours of sleep per night. When students are not awake to fully focus on their studies, it greatly impacts their studies. If classes started at 8:50 am, students would be more focused on not falling asleep rather than focusing on the lesson. Unfortunately, current start times contribute to decreased grades and implements stress on already extremely stressful teenagers. To recover from this deficit, their parents or themselves may look to tutors.

The average going rate for a tutor in Wisconsin for a high school students is around $40-50 per hour, according to Brookfield Patch. In my opinion, that is overpriced. Some families cannot afford this. As mayor, I want to create an after-school tutoring service where other teenagers teach their peers. This would end in a  win-win. The “teachers” could get volunteer hours to put on college applications and their peers would gain more knowledge.

To make this all a reality, I would talk with our governor and state senators to gain support. I would promote a commercial, and do interviews with students to gain popularity for these ideas. The end goal here is to draw attention to these issues, and how they impact our current students, negatively. Hopefully, in the near future, these needs would be met and our student's cold flourish and explore. The way schools were meant to be used.

So finally, I ask you to imagine a student walking into their school in the morning, encouraged and fueled. Excited to start the new day and attending their favorite creative classes. That’s something I would want our future workforce to have. And that’s what I would do if I were mayor of my town.