Sanctuary Cities | Teen Ink

Sanctuary Cities

You have probably heard of Sanctuary Cities on the news in the past few months, it is a big political topic right now. What it is, is when a city allows illegal immigrants into their city without being in trouble with the law. There are arguments to whether this is a good or bad thing.

First of all, the pro argument. People who agree with the sanctuary status state that since the undocumented immigrants cannot get into trouble, it will increase their activity with the police. Since they will be more active with the police it will increase the overall safety of the city. The other side says that this prevents the police from doing their jobs correctly by not arresting people who broke the law. They also argue that the cities who are under sanctuary status have an increasing crime rate than other cities. Some cities that are under sanctuary status are San Fransisco, Los Angeles, and New York City.

Sanctuary cities are a big political topic right now which you should have a side on. So are you for or against them? Do you want to have a “safer” city or have the police do their jobs?