For National Anthem Protests: Would You Stand? | Teen Ink

For National Anthem Protests: Would You Stand?

October 17, 2017
By BlueDon12 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
BlueDon12 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It is time to to stand up for what we believe in. Time to bring attention to a national problem. One that everyone is trying so hard to avoid. We should side with the National Anthem Protests. A topic that makes the majority of people boo. It has come to protesting to get people’s attention. Making protests the best way to start. This has become a worldwide issue that could be swayed effective or irrelevant. National Anthem Protests are effective because it shows the non-delivery of America’s ideals, brings attention to an unforeseen connection, and shows how equality is being overshadowed by accusations.

    

National Anthem Protests are effective because it shows non-delivery of America’s ideals. First off, the freedom of speech is extremely presented unto the pubic during this protest. These anthem protests voice other issues that have got set on the backburner by the government. A perfect example was done by Colin Kaepernick. He stated, “ I have to stand up for people that are oppressed,” conducted in an interview with CNN. He is referring to the oppression or police brutality towards African-Americans. Citizens need to realize that America was built on reputation, like the golden promises and opportunity. If we are not getting those advertised freedoms and promises, Then why are we saluting the flag? Or singing the anthem that celebrates having those non-existing freedoms, principles, and promises. Showing us that we must side by the anthem protests. Telling the government that it is not delivering on what has been promised, and that things still need to change.
    

Undoubtedly, siding with the anthem protests just got easier and more effective because our nation’s anthem has a unforeseen connection, to slavery. Called out on prejudice and hateful lyrics. The writer Francis Scott Key wrote this song in the early 1800s, when slavery was still alive. Key was a slaveowner himself. He put very subtle yet recognizable lyrics in the forgotten third verse of the anthem. It said this, “ No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave, and the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave over the land of the free and the home of the brave.” Meaning that the slaves were tossed aside with their graves all ready for them because nobody cares. All tying back to today where we supposedly stand, and embracingly sing prejudice lyrics against African-Americans. We build america off of those hateful lyrics, but stand like nothing is wrong. National anthem protests will bring attention to this.
    

Similarly, the message of anthem protests are being overshadowed by nonsense accusations. Just like lack of patriotism and disrespect for the army. These are just false accusations based upon mean-spirited people. They obviously have not listened to a very wise man, Colin Kaepernick. He stated, “I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag. I know that I am a black man in a white world,” Stated after his preseason game in a press conference. Accusations were thrown left and right, but Kaepernick quickly took to Twitter. Posting, “ How can I have disrespect for the army? I have family in there and bounds of respect and love for them...Until certain issues are fixed, I cannot salute the flag nor sing the anthem.” This tweet summarizes all of Kaepernick's thoughts and intentions. The message he was trying to get across has finally surfaced.
    

Some people may argue that what Kaepernick did was wrong and disrespectful. Especially, Our president Donald Trump. Who pretends he is not turning this into a racial matter, but he really is. For example he says the KKK are good people that made bad decisions and they were whites killing blacks. On the other hand you have Kaepernick kneeling for good reasons but he says this, “ Get that son of a …. off the field right now! He is fired! He is fired! In conclusion, he was still able to get the message across. National Anthem Protests are effective because we bring attention to the non-delivery of ideals/promises of America, unforeseen connections to slavery, and overpowering accusations clouding the message of the protests. The reasons prove the anthem protests are effective and necessary.