Patrick Henry Speech | Teen Ink

Patrick Henry Speech

October 10, 2017
By ryanorr999 BRONZE, Astin, Texas
ryanorr999 BRONZE, Astin, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

No matter how passionate Patrick Henry gets, he stays respectful throughout the whole speech. His very first sentence talks about how highly he thinks of the patriotism of the men who spoke before him. He says how he doesn’t want to disrespect anyone else’s opinion that think differently. He almost has a regretful tone in how he talks about and feels about presenting this question. By being respectful and regretful, everyone else in the room is more open-minded to his opinion, therefore becoming more impressionable. He says that it’s too important and urgent to disregard it any longer and that he cares so much that he will take whatever anguish of spirit it may cost. A big turning point in the beginning of the essay is when he says,” I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom and slavery.


In the beginning of the third paragraph, he uses a metaphor to express that his reasons come from experience. The metaphor is,” I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience.” He is saying that his choices and beliefs are only influenced by the experience he has. He also ask lots of rhetorical questions like,” Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation.” These rhetorical questions build up the audience’s questionability of the England government and whether or not they should fight for freedom or stay with England. In the fourth paragraph is when Patrick Henry really becomes influential and motivational about fighting for freedom. He says,” Will it be the next week, or the next year?” He uses parallelism in the words “will” and “shall” to continue to ask rhetorical questions that spark indecisiveness in the opposing men. He ends the paragraph with,” The war is inevitable and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.” I think this really builds up the intensity in the room and helps to progress to his final statement. Lastly he says,” I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” This statement is widely known and is a very strong statement and it really show his passion for this subject.


This idealistic thinking that Patrick Henry thinks that America should fight back and fight for their freedom and what they believe may be the thinking behind the current day posters. Protesters today are fighting for their freedom and what they believe. Personally, I don’t believe in the protests, but I believe Patrick Henry’s speech may be ideas behind the current day protests.