Is Immigration Good or Bad?

By , st.johnsbury, United States

There are more and more immigrants every year, and from my point of view, I think this kind of phenomenon is double edge weapon since immigrants may do harm to a country while some immigrants may benefit a country.

On the one hand, immigration bring in something bad. Firstly, immigrants are refugees, which means some of them are poor. Since them come to another country, the government have to put into a large amount of money, manpower, materials to relief them out. At the same time, terrorists will take advantage of this chance to enter a country. “This is a moment where it is better to be safe than sorry,” For the issue of immigration, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) told reporters on Capitol Hill. He later said at a press conference prior to the House voting: “It’s a security test, not a religious test. This reflects our values. This reflects our responsibilities. And this is urgent.” Obviously, from his perspective, immigration is hurting his country and making sure that the safety of citizens is more important than risking to receive refugees.

On the other hand, there are also some benefits of immigration. There is a fact that most of merchants and business men are pleasant to welcome immigrants because that means they can have more business opportunities. For example, some merchants would like to hire refugees to work in their own companies because they know that they are poor and come from a country which maybe is experiencing war, they have no choice, which force them come to another country. So those business men can hire them with a pretty low salary but it is heavy and tiring job. At the same time, those immigrants who are rich can push the national economy by spending money in the country and offering labor force for a country.

In conclusion, there is no certain answer whether immigration is good or bad. From my own opinion, it is important for every country to accept refugees without restraint, but it is also important for every country to give a hand to the issues of immigration. Countries need to do some contribution from financial resources, manpower to international issues appropriately like the issue of immigration.