Why Communism Is Awful | Teen Ink

Why Communism Is Awful

By NarwhalTitan BRONZE, Rancho Mirage, California
NarwhalTitan BRONZE, Rancho Mirage, California

“Communism is a system of social and political organization in which all property is owned in common, and everyone can take as much as they need, but in return must work as hard as possible.” That is the definition of communism, and it sounds quite nice. However whenever it has been input, it has ruined many lives of all involved workers and citizens.

Ironically one of the first issues of communism, is its dramatic drop in the standard of living for the very people that it strives to protect. An example of this is in the USSR, where the communist created work camps to produce everything they need, however over 20,000,000 people died in those camps, literally working themselves into one of the mass  grave that they dug in their GULAGs. This communism eventually devolved into a slave labour force used to help mainly the military to not starve.

Freedom of speech is murdered when communism controls. Along with this the freedom of expression dies, creating an echo chamber and getting rid of all dissenting opinions. The censorship makes it so that all anti-communists end up dead, or in exile. This can be seen within North Korea, where anything that is not run by the state is highly illegal and even taking pictures in the nation is illegal and has very heavy sentences.

The third way that communism fails is its mass killing of its own citizens, this can be seen in China, when it was under Mao Zedong. Under him almost half of China’s population starved to death, about 60,000,000 people. This was due to the lack of food due to the fact that the rapid industrialization was left with less people to produce food, and then starved. This means that under Mao Zedong more people died then under Adolph Hitler.

Both of those men were horrible mass murderers, just like the Joseph Stalin that killed 20,000,000 people. However communism has shown time and time again that it is not a good political system and will always fail, and result in massive casualties. This should prove why communism is awful.

A peice of the awfulness of communism.