Convicted Felons' Rights | Teen Ink

Convicted Felons' Rights

By qschultz BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
qschultz BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

Ever wonder what happens after a murder, rapist, or burglar is released back to the streets after completing his or her sentence? Felons are faced with many restraints once convicted. Some of these restraints include the right to vote, the right to hold public office, the right to bear arms, and the right to travel abroad. The hindrance of rights placed on convicted felons seems appropriate. If these people want to be treated as everyone else, they should not break the law. As felons complete their sentence they have the opportunity to gain some of these rights back with a pardon, if the president sees fit. With the right mindset and determination, a convicted felon can achieve their goals and make do with the rights they have.

Placing certain restrictions on convicted felons’ rights put society at ease while allowing the felon, with the right mindset and determination, to succeed in life with the rights that remain in their jurisdiction. The placement of restrictions on convicted felons is suitable for the safety of society. For example, once a person is convicted, they lose the right to bear arms. This is simply because if a person was once convicted for breaking the law, they are not responsible enough to carry a firearm, and cannot be trusted.

Once a convicted felon is released it can be extremely difficult to face the world, especially politically. Voting rights and jury service are rights taken from felons. State laws determine a felon’s right to vote in state and local elections. This law stands unless the person is later restored their right by the Governor, or by the President, then they can register to vote. Although state laws vary, many states allow ex-felons to vote only after they have proven themselves to become a productive member of society. Many felons are not aware of their ability to vote after they’ve proven themselves; which is a main reason why they do not vote. Since some felons are not able vote, they cannot serve jury duty. When someone is picked for jury duty, their name is picked from the list of people that registered to vote. Since convicted felons are not on this list to vote, they cannot serve jury duty. With these restrictions, it is very difficult for a convicted felon to participate in politics.

There are many reasonable restraints placed on convicted felons; for example, the fact that they should not travel abroad keep the people and other countries out of harm's way. If a felon already possesses a passport, it can be revoked or restricted if they fall under false pretense. Many countries such as Belgium, Canada, and Australia do not allow convicted felons. Although people may be able to obtain a passport, it would be difficult to enter another country without a visa. For example, Jamaican law states that people convicted of felonies and still on probation or parole cannot get a visa to enter the country. If they person were convicted for drug trafficking, they would not be able to get a visa to Jamaica because of Jamaica has a large problem with drug trafficking. Many countries want to remain out of harm's way and ensure this, they restrict convicted felons from entering their country to remain safe from the criminals of other countries.

Although convicted felons are striped of some rights, many people believe this action should not take place. Numerous people believe felons deserve the same rights a normal person has. They believe that all people deserve the same rights no matter what. People would say how it is a part of equality. If America is trying to spread equality and promote the fact that everyone deserves to be treated the same way, the government should not strip these rights from felons. A felon is striped of these rights for a reason. It is because of their disloyalty and irresponsibility that they lost these rights. It is a simply thing to do--if you want all your rights, don’t break the law.

All of the rules and restrictions placed on convicted felons are there for a reason. If a person cannot uphold the law and act as a model citizen, they don’t deserve your everyday rights. Mostly they don’t deserve these rights for the safety of society. Rights are only restricted if a person is convicted of a felony. A felony is a serious crime involving violence, that can result in imprisonment for more than one or two years.  Restrictions on felons puts other countries at ease knowing criminals from different countries cannot cross the border legally. With the placement of restrictions on felons’ rights, people will be safer in society knowing an ex-felon does not have the ability to legally carry a firearm, leave the country, or vote.