Was Trump Right For Once? | Teen Ink

Was Trump Right For Once?

April 19, 2017
By Bmargo BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
Bmargo BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many people are calling what made the US launch a missile strike on Syria, the “worst chemical attack in years.”(Barnard) The Syrian chemical attack and the US’s missile strike, have been a hot topic as of recently. A big question, which is yet to be definitively answered is. Who did the chemical attack in Syria? Was it the Syrian forces, the Russians or someone else? The US was sold on the fact the Bashar al-Assad ordered the attack, and they were not too happy. The US then proceed to order a missile strike at the airfield where the jets that held the chemical bombs, believed to have taken off.Some countries agree with the US’s decision and others disagree. The question that many people have about the US’s missile strike is. Was the US missile strike on Syria warranted and was it the right decision.                      
   

More than 80 people were “killed in a suspected chemical attack on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun in north-western Syria.”(BBC) Shortly after the chemical attack “according to several witnesses, another airstrike hit one of the clinics treating victims, who had been sent to smaller hospitals and maternity wards because the area’s largest hospital was severely damaged by an airstrike two days earlier.”(Barnard) Syria supposedly used a mix of sarin gas and other chemicals in an attack on the town of Khan Sheikhoun. These chemicals are banned as weapons because of the Chemical Weapons Convention, which is a treaty that bans the use of any chemical weapons for warfare. The Syrian forces are suspected of ordering this attack because the affected town was home to Syrian Rebels. They then proceeded to attack the hospital where the victims of the chemical attack were being treated.According to Syria, they had nothing to do with the attacks.
   

Russia has another explanation for the chemical attacks, “Syrian warplanes had struck an insurgent storehouse containing toxic substances to be used in chemical weapons.”According to Russia, Syria did bomb the town of Khan Sheikhoun, but not a chemical bomb just a normal one. This Contradicts Syria because according to them, they had nothing to do with it.
   

US president Donald Trump ordered the first intentional US military action on the Syrian forces and their civil war that has been going on for six years.This consisted of “Fifty-nine Tomahawk missiles” being fired at the Al Shayrat airfield in Syria. The missiles were fired from US warships at 8:40 pm eastern standard time and 3:40 am local time. The airfield that was targeted is where the warplanes that completed the chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun were launched from. The missile attack was carried out during a time where the airfield was rather quiet. Only “Six people were killed in the airstrike, according to a televised statement by the Syrian Armed Forces General Command.”(Starr) The airstrike targeted ammunition supplies, fuel and other items that the base could not operate without.(Starr)
   

Jordan is on the US’s side with the Jordans King Abdullah II saying  "We need a political solution that ends the conflict in the country and preserves its unity and territorial integrity. " Saudi Arabia supports the strike, this is because they are one of the larger contributors to battling the Syrian regime and Isis. Turkey also supports the attack and wants to see Assad removed from power.Many other Countries also back the US such as Australia, Italy, Israel, Spain, United Kingdom and Japan. Although the Majority of countries supports the airstrike, some countries disagree with the US’s decision.
   

Putin says that “Assad isn't going anywhere for the time being.”(Park) The fact that Russia said “Syrian warplanes had struck an insurgent storehouse containing toxic substances to be used in chemical weapons” Makes sense because Putin must Like Assad. Other countries also disagree with the US’s decision. Iran opposes the strike and “opposes a military solution to the Syrian conflict and supports one through a political process.”(Park)  China is against the strike because they don’t think that other countries should interfere in one country's internal affairs.
   

The US air strike on the Syrian airbase was definitely warranted and the right decision. The Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad chemically bombed a town where his own people were living.  Then bombed the hospital where those victims were being treated. One of Syria’s allies Russia then contradicted what Syria said, by saying that they did bomb the town. The chemical bombs were in the town, and they were hit by the bombs. What Syria did to their people was not right, and it was a good decision that the US stepped in and did something. Many other countries agree with the US. Some of these countries include the UK, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. The number of countries that disagree with the US is far less than those who agree. Some include Russia, Iraq and China.
   

People dislike the US’s missile strike on Syria for a few reasons, but one big one is Donald Trump. By ordering the strike he contradicted many of his previous tweets, stating that having anything thing to do with Syria was a bad idea. These tweets were aimed at former President Obama, telling him he was foolish and that he should not attack Syria. Some of these tweets include “AGAIN, TO OUR VERY FOOLISH LEADER, DO NOT ATTACK SYRIA - IF YOU DO MANY VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN & FROM THAT FIGHT THE U.S. GETS NOTHING!” “President Obama, do not attack Syria. There is no upside and tremendous downside. Save your "powder" for another (and more important) day!” Trump is calling the former president a foolish leader, he does what he was calling Obama foolish for. In addition to people disliking Donald Trump being hypocritical, the strike also affected the United States relations with other countries. A prime example of this would be Russia. Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin were good friends, and therefore it helped the country's bonds. Because Russia and Syria are allies, Putin is unhappy with Trump's decision to order the airstrike. Russia and the United States are no longer allies.
   

All in all the United States’s airstrike on Syria was warranted and a good decision, because there are more upsides than downsides. The strike was warranted because Syria dropped chemical bombs on their own people that are banned from being used. Syria then bombed the hospital that was treating the victims of the chemical attack. Afterwards, Syria stated that they had nothing to do with it. Even though a few countries are disappointed in the US’s decision to launch a missile strike on the Syrian airfield, even more countries agree with their decision. Syria did something wrong and the US responded with a missile strike that was intended on making the airfield unusable.  The US’s missile strike on the Syrian airfield was needed.

 

Work Cited
Karimi, Faith. "What You Need to Know about US Strike on Syrian Air Base." CNN. Cable News Network, 07 Apr. 2017. Web. 15 Apr. 2017.
"U.S. Missile Attack on Syria: What We Know and Don’t Know." The New York Times. The New York Times, 07 Apr. 2017. Web. 15 Apr. 2017.
"Who's with the US on Syria Strike and Who Isn't." CNN. Cable News Network, 08 Apr. 2017. Web. 15 Apr. 2017.
"Syria 'chemical Attack': What We Know." BBC News. BBC, 07 Apr. 2017. Web. 15 Apr. 2017.
Barnard, Anne. "Worst Chemical Attack in Years in Syria; U.S. Blames Assad." The New York Times. The New York Times, 04 Apr. 2017. Web. 15 Apr. 2017.
Starr, Barbara, and Jeremy Diamond. "Trump Launches Military Strike against Syria." CNN. Cable News Network, 07 Apr. 2017. Web. 18 Apr. 2017.
Staff, Wikipedia. "Chemical Weapons Convention." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 13 Apr. 2017. Web. 18 Apr. 2017.
"'Don't Attack Syria': Donald Trump's Old Tweets to Obama." RT International. RT International, 7 Apr. 2017. Web. 18 Apr. 2017.


The author's comments:

This article discusses whether Trump was right to call an air strike on Syria.