The Immigrant Struggle | Teen Ink

The Immigrant Struggle

By michaelT5 BRONZE, Torrance, California
michaelT5 BRONZE, Torrance, California

As an immigrant, I know how it feels to struggle as an immigrant. Immigrants come from all over the world to America knowing zero English, only their country of origins main language, and sadly struggling to find a job. Immigrants struggle the most to find a job and to be successful. A close friend of mine from Egypt recently immigrated to the United States, I have never seen someone struggling that bad. Why would his parents struggle to find a job, or why would my friend have difficulty making friends just because of his struggle not being able to be fluent in English. It is not fair. Because I went through this myself and it doesn’t feel good, it never felt good to know that my dad had to leave his main a job that paid him good just to make sure I success in life. It’s heartbreaking to me, to see my dad struggling to success in the United States. Also immigrants have hard time reaching success than others; I saw this when I first moved to the United States. I saw white Americans not struggling as much as me. I was scared and lost.

When I first immigrated to the United States, all the middle class or wealthy Americans didn’t struggle as much as I did. In this article, “Immigrants face harsh challenges in search of American Dream” by Armahn Rassuli, it states that “ Immigrants in general have a much harder time reaching success when compared to middle class or wealthy white Americans”(Rassuli). Also in this article ¨An eye-popping 20% of U.S. residents abandon English at home¨ by Stephen Dinan, it states that ¨One-fifth of people in the U.S. speak a foreign language at home, according to a report being released Monday by the Center for Immigration Studies, which found Arabic and Urdu¨(Dinan). I agree with this quote because I speak Arabic at home with my family and I know that it would never help me with my language skills but I still do it. This article also claimed that, ¨More than 40 percent of those who spoke a foreign language at home said they speak English less than proficiently¨(Dinan). I myself agree with that, speaking another language at home other than English will make your English less proficiently. If immigrants never practiced speaking English at home, their English will not get any better. When I first came to America I had a hard time interacting with others who spoke English, but those who came from the same country as me, that spoke my own language, no problem. It wasn't hard to interact with them at all. Research from the article called ¨CENSUS BUREAU: FEWER IMMIGRANTS SPEAKING ENGLISH AT HOME¨ by Joe Guzzardi stated that, ¨With the nation’s estimated immigrant population over age 5 at nearly 41 million, about 20 million residents struggle to communicate, while another 5 million can only interact with those who speak their native language.” This explains why some immigrants speak their native language only at home: most likely because they feel more comfortable speaking it at home instead of English. But this will do them no good, because if you're in America and you want to follow your dreams, you must know English to become what you want.
Another research proves that, ¨those who speak a foreign language at home, 25.6 million (41 percent) told the Census Bureau that they speak English less than very well¨(Karen). This is another reason why I speak English at home, if I choose not to my English would never get better.

Dinan stated, “The number of people who don’t speak English as their primary language has exploded, and it’s going to remain high for a long time,” said Steven A. Camarota, the lead demographer for the report. “That has implications for schools and politics. In some cases, the number of people speaking a foreign language is enormous now”(Dinan). Immigrants chooses to speak their origin language, most likely because they feel more comfortable than speaking English at home, but this won’t help them with their English language skills, I realized that because I felt embarrassed when I tried speaking English at home it didn’t feel comfortable to speak in front of my parents, but now I know that speaking and practicing English at home helps a lot.

Therefore the best solution would be if all immigrants practices to speak English at home, but at the same time they could speak their origin language, so it’s like half and half. Immigrants shouldn’t be afraid to learn the American language, because it could be hard at first but after a while everything gets better. The best solution is just to practice English and home and still talk the origin language, it’s better than not speaking English at all, this will be the best thing for immigrants.

Work Cited
Dinan, Stephen. "An Eye-popping 20% of U.S. Residents Abandon English
at Home."Washingtontimes. N.p., 6 Oct. 2014. Web. 20 Feb. 2017
Guzzardi, Joe. "CENSUS BUREAU: FEWER IMMIGRANTS SPEAKING ENGLISH AT   HOME." Capsweb. N.p., 24 June 2014. Web. 20 Feb. 2017.
Rassuli, Armhan. "Immigrants Face Harsh Challenges in Search of American
Dream."Collegiatetimes. N.p., 5 Nov. 2015. Web. 21 Feb. 2017.
Zeigler, Karen. "One in Five U.S. Residents Speaks Foreign Language at Home." Cis. N.p., 5   Oct. 2015. Web. 20 Feb. 2017.