Write the Change- Planned Parenthood | Teen Ink

Write the Change- Planned Parenthood

February 15, 2017
By mcesarini BRONZE, Duxbury, Massachusetts
mcesarini BRONZE, Duxbury, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Planned Parenthood is a healthcare provider that is over one hundred years old. Although Planned Parenthood is an organization that one in five women turn to at least once in their life, certain people and politicians do not believe that it deserves government funding, or at least not as much as it has gotten in the past. It was recently announced that there would be a vote on cutting federal tax dollars for Planned Parenthood. This is not the first time that something like this had been proposed, but it is more likely than before that this cut will actually happen because there is now a Republican president. Luckily, if the government decided to no longer fund the organization, it would not completely fail. Planned Parenthood also receives money from nonprofit organizations and private donors. Nevertheless the government funds the largest amount of money to the organization. Without the government funding, many large components of Planned Parenthood may cease to exist. In 1976, a law was created that banned the governments funding from going toward reproductive rights, which is what most people think of when they hear Planned Parenthood. However the funds toward Planned Parenthood go toward many other services such as contraception, STD prevention and testing, and even cancer screening.

 

While it would be awful if the government did cut funding toward Planned Parenthood, it is very likely that this will not reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies. Planned Parenthood is a vital part of our society as it provides health care to many low-income women, along with the many other services that it provides. The largest reason people want the government to stop funding Planned Parenthood is because they think it will decrease the rate of unwanted pregnancies, or even stop them from happening. 


The author's comments:

In my US History class we were instructed to look at and write about something in out world that needs to be changed. I decided to write about Planned Parenthood and how a proposed change in funding is unnecesary.