Don't Tread On Me | Teen Ink

Don't Tread On Me

January 26, 2017
By Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
7 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Michael Jordan


“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” - The Second Amendment

What does the Second Amendment mean to you?  According to the American Militia Association, the Second Amendment is summed up in these next words. “A "Well Regulated" American Militia is the entire population free to possess arms in order to secure the liberty of the place in which they live, in their own homes, in their communities across each State and ultimately encompassing the entire nation.”  But that’s not the only summary of it.  Thomas Jefferson stated, “ When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fear the people there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep the right to keep and bear arms is, a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.” 

The second amendment was also set to protect us from the government as well. If the government came after our rights, we are given a right to protect ourselves with the 2nd amendment as a last resort against them. What does the saying “Don’t Tread On me” mean? According to Knifeup magazines the saying “Don’t Tread on Me” phrase combined with the snake ready to strike is a warning.

This tells people not to step on or take advantage of the Americans or they will strike.”  Thomas Paine once noted, "Arms . . . discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property."  In Switzerland every household has a gun, and the crime rates are minimal. I think if everyone in the United States had a gun, then crime rates would definitely plummet.  Protection is huge and I believe that if everyone saw that guns aren't bad, it's just the people using them. That the arguments on gun rights would thus cease.

Obviously we can’t keep guns out of the hands of criminals, so if we as the people of the United States of America.  Desire to protect our soil from crime, tyranny in the government, and foreign attacks each citizen should keep his or her rights to bear arms.  “Don’t Tread On My Rights!” Believe me because we will strike if stepped on.  To the land of the free and the home of the brave, let's stand accordingly with our forefathers in fight for freedom.