Harvested Meat vs. Store Bought Meat | Teen Ink

Harvested Meat vs. Store Bought Meat

January 27, 2017
By Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
7 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Michael Jordan


What is the first thing that pops in your head when you think about hunting?  What is the first thing that comes to your head when you think about hunters?  Well the first thing that pops into my head when I think about hunting is being out in God’s beautiful creation and pursuing big game with my bow.  Now when I think about a hunter I immediately think of someone or something pursuing an animal to harvest it.  Let's take a walk through my neck of the woods while I bring forth this matter.

Let me ask you another question; Do you know where the meat you buy from the store comes from?  Think about it, just for a minute or so.  In fact where your meat came from there is a high chance that the animal is being slaughtered inhumanely.  The cows your meat comes from sadly were raised and slaughtered in knee deep manure.  After the cow is slaughtered it is sent to the people who dress it.

Then from there it is sent down the line where it is cut up with chainsaws into sections accordingly to its type of cut.  From there the meat is then processed with other animal scraps.  Then it is packaged, labeled, loaded up and sent to your local stores.  The pigs and chickens are the same story the way they are processed.  Except the disgusting part about the pigs is that they are put into a press.  Think about the word press just for a second.  Yes they are pressed to death, then sent to the process line.

Hunters are the world's number one conservationists. We harvest our animals humanely and as fast as we can.  Yes we make mistakes all the time, both gun and bow hunters equally make bad shots.  If we wound an animal it is our job to track it until we find it.  As a hunter you owe it to that animal to search high and low until you find it. 

After we harvest the animal we skin it, gut it, cut the meat off the body and place it in meat bags and put it in our packs.  From there we pack the meat back to the truck. Then it is taken to a local meat store where they process your meat with nothing else but the meat you gave them.  To you hunters out there if you want tips to make great shots is to practice a lot to the point where you are consistently hitting the same spot on the target over and over again.  And to those who don’t hunt look into the meat you buy before you buy it.