Drones: Are They Worth The Risk? | Teen Ink

Drones: Are They Worth The Risk?

January 16, 2017
By pec22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
pec22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Drones are a controversial topic because people all over the would hold varying opinions on the idea. Some argue that drones are innovative, and a positive addition to the community, by doing things such as searching the skies for criminals during police chases. Others however, argue that drones are dangerous and do more harm that they do good, such as interfering with aviation. This paper will argue that drones should be banned because of the harm and problems they create in communities.


First off, not only do drones cause problems on the ground, but they also cause problems up above. The chances of aerial collisions and accidents are increasing and aerial safety overall for consumers and citizens is decreasing because of drones. For example, on page 1 of Not your dad’s remote control airplane: toy drones upsetting the aviation world the text describes this encounter; “Soon after takeoff, the drone veered dangerously toward a power line. It then climbed more than 700 feet — right into the path of a California Highway Patrol helicopter. A head-on collision was avoided only after the helicopter’s crew made a sharp turn at the last moment.” Now imagine if this were a commercial jet liner. If there would have been a collision, there could have been fatalities of people from the general public, all due to a drone. According to page 1 of Not your dad’s remote control airplane: toy drones upsetting the aviation world, the chances of this actually happening are climbing higher and higher. “...critics fear that the chances of a catastrophic collision with a manned aircraft — possibly even a commercial jetliner — also are soaring.” And this situation wouldn’t just be a random freak accident. Again, on page 1 of Not your dad’s remote control airplane: toy drones upsetting the aviation world, the text states this shocking claim. “A report released in December identified 327 “close encounters” between drones and manned aircraft over a 21-month period that ended last September. These included 51 cases in which the drones and piloted aircraft came within 50 feet of each other and 28 incidents in which a pilot maneuvered to avoid a collision.” This has already happened a multitude of times, and if we don’t cut this off now, one of those ‘close calls” might just be too close.


Not only are drones causing problems up in the air, but they’re causing problems on the ground, too. This statement made on page 1 of Drones are fun, drones are popular, but drones can also be dangerous proves this to be true; “But more drones in the skies are also bringing problems for pilots, tourists in national parks and even pedestrians.” In fact, organizations like the National Parks Service are taking measures to begin the much needed ban of these aerial robots, because of their negative effects. On page 1 of This privacy debate could drone on, the text says, “This prompted rangers last month to ban the flying machines. At the Grand Canyon recently, a drone crashed, stunning visitors who were there to watch the sunset. On Friday, the National Parks Service announced that it intended to ban low-flying drones on the 84 million acres of land it manages. It mentioned concerns about visitor safety and the effect on wildlife.” This shows that drones have a negative effect on everybody, and in this situation, park tourists in specific. This also shows that their ban would be beneficial to the general public, because the ban would cause this to not happen again, allowing both the views and visitors at these parks to be left undisrupted. And this isn’t only occurring at the National Parks; it’s happening everywhere. For example, on page 2 of This privacy debate could drone on, the article tells of multiple incidents that have also occurred. “At Hermosa Beach in California last year, an angry mother confronted a lifeguard about a drone. It was hovering near her and her daughter, snapping photos while they were tanning. In Connecticut, a man flying a drone over a beach was attacked by a woman who accused him of trying to take pictures of her. And at Mount Rushmore, a ranger confiscated a drone after it flew around the national monument and over the heads of visitors. In April, volunteers at Zion National Park in Utah watched a drone buzz over a herd of bighorn sheep. The drone separated the adults from the young. ‘Those are the kinds of things that have been going on,’ said National Park Service spokesman Jeffrey Olson, who said drones bother people and animals.” This shows that this isn’t just a one-time type of event, but it happens quite often and is causing some real problems with serious consequences.
Another reason obvious reason drones should be banned is because they lack the qualifications to ensure safe flying, as proved by this statement from page 2 of  Not your dad’s remote control airplane; toy drones upsetting the aviation world; “Critics say, however, that they usually lack the navigation and communications systems and design quality needed to ensure safe flying.” This shows that most expert critics say that they lack the needed capabilities to ensure a safe flight, leading to possible accidents and dangerous and unnecessary incidents caused by drones. A simple mistake could mean the difference between a destructive accident, and a safe aerial adventure. For example, on page 3 of Drones are fun, drones are popular, but drones can also be dangerous, the text states this; “If a drone runs out of batteries, it’s likely to fall out of the sky like a stone.” If a drone user were to even make a slight mistake, such as forgetting to replace the batteries in his or her drone, the consequences could be massive. If a drone were to fall out of the sky, as caused by running out of batteries, someone could become severely injured. If drones were banned and not allowed to leave the ground, the chances of this would fall to zero, and there would no longer be unnecessary accidents caused by drones.


There is no doubt that drones do have benefits. For example, some may say that the attachable cameras that can be placed of drones, offer improvements in many fields, like offering new angles and heights in aerial photography and videography. They can even spot criminals through trees and other hard-to-see places, making them very useful to military and police forces. This technology is very useful and effective… when in the correct hands. These tools could also be used for spying and other illegal activities, and new laws and regulations may need to be established to monitor their usage. On page 1 of Drones are fun, drones are popular, but drones can also be dangerous, the the text conveys this point; “Drones are increasingly bringing up concerns over safety and privacy. There are calls for more regulation of drones by state governments and at the federal level. The fun gift you get under the tree this year may face many tight new regulations in the future.” This statement shows that these advantages the technology that has does in fact have disadvantages that need to be put under regulation.
The drone usage debate can be a hard one to navigate. With so many sides and ideas on the issue, there are lots of perspectives to choose from. But the right point of view is clear; drone usage is a negative thing that should be abolished. From dangers in the sky, to unnecessary problems down on the ground, and even the lack of qualifications to ensure a safe flight, the solution is clear; public drone use needs to be banned, but maybe not banned completely. An alternative to the current way of drone flying could be to allow drone use is certain areas, such as drone parks, with supervision by officials and specific rules regarding things such as altitude and the types of drones allowed.