The Fight for Minimum Wage | Teen Ink

The Fight for Minimum Wage

By cme22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
cme22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Imagine this: the minimum wage is raised and people are losing their jobs, and businesses are losing money.  Does this seem like a society that should be lived in? Around the world, there are many different opinions and views on the fight to raise the minimum wage.  Some believe that increasing the minimum wage will increase worker’s pay; some believe it will improve society and even reduce the world’s poverty issues.  However, many others believe increasing the minimum wage will not accomplish these acts and instead will lower employment rates; decreasing the need of government aid and bringing small business’s income down to lower values.  The United States should not raise the minimum wage.

Some people may stand for increasing the minimum wage.  According to the article “Issue Overview: Income Inequality,” the author believes that increasing the minimum wage will create a more stable environment for workers.  However, changing the minimum wage will lower employment rates for most workers.  This would create an even more unstable income for workers.  According to “Issue Overview: Minimum Wage,” the author views the increased minimum wage as a non-effective tool for bringing people out of poverty.  In addition, in the article “California’s lowest paid workers will soon get a raise,” on page one, the author (Don Thompson) states, “One leading economist said an increase from $10 to $15 would reduce employment among the least-skilled workers by at least 5 to 10 percent.”  This proves that minimum wage will not increase employment and will not lower poverty rates.  Instead, the increase will take more people out of their jobs, which will increase poverty rates in the United States.

Nevertheless, some people believe that increasing the minimum wage will improve society.  According to the article “Issue Overview: Minimum Wage,” the author, Jordan Yadoo, states, “Increased minimum wage improves the financial and social well-being of people around the world.”  However, instead of improving society, raising the minimum wage will weaken the need of government aid.  On page one of “Issue Overview: Minimum Wage,” the author states, “Fewer workers would need food stamps and other government aid to make ends meet, maybe.”  Increasing the pay of almost every minimum wage worker in America would be insufficient for the government.  If the minimum wage stays the same, the government will acquire more profit from goods and services, than they would if it was increased. This seems like a more improved society with the minimum wage at the same state.

Likewise, not only would increasing the minimum wage lower the government’s profits, it will also lower small businesses profit.  However, some people believe that it will increase large business’s profits.  In the article “With Minimum Wage Rising, Is America Ready for a $15-an-hour Working World?” on page one, the author says “Some businesses could see greater sales as weaker rivals fold.”  However, smaller businesses will not thrive if the minimum wage is raised.  In the article “California’s lowest paid workers could soon get a raise,” on page 1, the author (Don Thompson) states “It will hurt small businesses.”  Brian Hibbs, owner of comic book and graphic novel store Comix Experience, said he supports the idea of a minimum standard of living.  “The cost of labor is so high.  It's very, very difficult to run a profitable business at this point.”  This shows how increasing the minimum wage will affect almost all of the workers and the business itself.  Is this equality for all?

The issue of the world’s minimum wage has varying sides.  It is true that increasing the minimum will improve society.  However, if the United States were to increase the minimum wage, most workers would lose their jobs; lowering the United States's employment rates.  Along with that idea, most small businesses and the government would lose profit coming from workers who gained higher pay.  In conclusion, the world should not increase the minimum wage because the United State’s employment rates will reduce majorly, and money will become a shortage to it’s most important purposes.  Everyone should realize the affect of raising the minimum wage and stand for their beliefs, so all workers can be treated equally.