Drone Debate: Con Side | Teen Ink

Drone Debate: Con Side

January 16, 2017
By jeb22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
jeb22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine This: someone is walking to school, and a drone crashes right into the person  and the person gets a very harsh scar.   That would be very enraging for lots of people.   Fortunately, that is not a problem now.   But one day, it possibly could be.   Drones are a common debate for many people.   Some say they are useful in things like farming, while others think they are invading privacy and making our economy worse.   Lots of people say that drones are very useful advancements people can use to see damage in disasters or to deliver pizza.   Although this may be (or one day might be true) the reality of drones right now is not too great.   Lots of drones have landed on governmental buildings like the White House, and also are too easily used to invade wildlife.   This essay will show how drones can simply cause damage to lots of everyday jobs.   This piece will also illustrate how drones can kill animals without question, and how military drones can actually kill everyday people without warning.  


First off, drones are slowing down economy little by little with each new gadget people add on to them.   When the first drone came out, drones were not a terrible idea.   But as drones developed cameras and guns for war, it became (and is still becoming) a disaster.   Drones have been interfering with everyday life and they do not seem to stop.   “Thrasher suddenly identified the object as a drone only 10 feet from his windshield.” (newsela: Small drones causing big problems for firefighting planes, page 1).   If drones keep interfering with firefighting planes and one day hit a windshield or a wing, it would be chaotic.   So even though little cameras used to take pictures of amazing wildfires might be cool, it is not moving our economy forward at all.   It is actually making our economy a more dangerous place.   And that is just one of the many problems drones are causing.
Off of that, drones are becoming a threat to animals as well as people.   People have been developing guns on drones, and with cameras, it becomes a very useful tool for hunting.   A hunter would get a kill every time they hunted.   But is that good for the wildlife there? “The animal would not have a chance whatsoever.” (newsela: Illinois bill would ban drones for hunting, page 1).   The animal would be dead once the hunter saw it.   This could drive out deeply needed animals like deer and turkey from environments.   This leads to ecosystems collapsing and more dead animals than what was intended by the hunter.   Even though drones can potentially drive invasives out of ecosystems, they can just as easily drive needed animals out of ecosystems as well.   This could be very critical for ecosystems, and it would make one typical deer a rare sight.  


Even though there are lots of bad things about drones, there can be a good side.   Drones help people in Haiti scout out the damage that was made by Hurricane Matthew.   “Once in the air, it will document damage to the area caused by Hurricane Matthew.” (article posted by Agence France-Presse, page 1).   This could help Haitians figure out where they need to repair things, and where they need.   But even with this tremendously helpful technology, people managed to make something bad out of it as well.   “13 wildfires in which suspected drones, also called unmanned vehicles, interfered with firefighting aircraft this year.” (Posted by the Associated Press, page 2.) This one piece of evidence shows that potentially 13 drones interfered with firefighters, and possibly caused firefighters to land and let the fire spread more.   So even with upsides to drones, the cons outweigh the pros.  


Over in Afghanistan and Iraq, drones are shooting missiles at terrorists, and helping the United States military.   Nevertheless, drones are also killing regular citizens as well.   “They kill regular citizens too, although how many is unclear.” (newsela: Issue Overview: Drone laws, page 1).   This shows that missiles could be killing only ten people a day, to possibly five hundred.   That is a very serious issue that proves that drones are killing people almost every day.   The worst part about this is that these people are people who are stuck in warfare and cannot run, and are sentenced to death because of their location.   Some people are waiting for their mothers to come home and make dinner, or fathers to help with their homework, or for their own kids to come home from school, but they never do.   This is happening because of drones.   It is clear something needs to be fixed within this issue.  


In conclusion, drones are not helping our economy.   They are interfering with everyday life, invading privacy and even killing animals and people.   This could lead to chaos, and is already in the work of becoming disastrous.   Drones are just the same as military weaponry and spy cameras, and neither of those help our economy.   One way to solve this issue is to remove cameras and potential weaponry from drones, because without that, drones can not do any human harm.   Even with pros, drones need to become less dangerous to ecosystems, privacy, and our everyday life, and people need to do something about it.