The Unachievable Idea of World Peace Thanks to Greed | Teen Ink

The Unachievable Idea of World Peace Thanks to Greed

By T-g75 BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
T-g75 BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

“You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life. But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’ See the positive in negative events.” – Joel Osteen

Throughout history multiple examples make it clear that the ambition of the people usually revolve around what they could get for themselves, not much else matters to them. That is not to say that greed is the only contributor to world peace being unachievable, but everyone should at least acknowledge that the greed of one’s self could be dampening the chance of having a peaceful world.

The most common examples to think of when it includes this greed happens to be when European nations began their explorations in the 15th century of the world. Upon this discovery, they were also starting the concept of conquering as well just to gain some resources for their own land to increase their own wealth. Other instances would be the colonization of Africa which had multiple powerful nations divide the continent and their people without a care in the world, just a desire for more and more power which could be gained with the land they own.
Sure these examples seem to have the common theme of being a thing of the past, but then some examples of further greed are heard even now with how America is responsible for around 70% of worldwide arms sales and spends around $610 billion dollars on machinery of war. If there was truly no greed present in this fact, then why would they spend so much on a concept that would stray for world peace and why would they stray from the 15% of Americans that live in poverty that could use that money. The only true reason for this would be the great investment it is financially and how this could benefit only them in the long run. Then there is the obvious fact to look at that is unquestionable, the war occurring presently is between nations that are rich, all nations have more than enough to support themselves financially so why fight with others one might ask, the answer is simple, they want more than what they have. When someone gets a taste of what they could have, they always want more. An example that might be more relatable is whenever a new iPhone comes out, instead of being content of the one that a teenager has they will want the new one simply because it is “better”.

Now like I said previously I am not saying that everyone is greedy in the world and I am not saying that greed is not the only reason behind why world peace is unachievable at this point. This is just an idea to consider because greed could start at the simpler things, but then explode into this idea of maybe creating war on purpose in order to gain a profit.

Works Cited
Jacks, L. P. "Greed Caused the War." The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 2016. Web. 25 Nov. 2016.
Peebles, Graham. "Peace and the Ideology of Greed and Division." CounterPunch, 13 Aug. 2015. Web. 25 Nov. 2016.

I hope that people think critically about the world we live in and how we can improve it.