A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Texting and Driving | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Texting and Driving

November 11, 2016
By Kfish BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
Kfish BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF TEXTING AND DRIVING.


It is a melancholy object to texting and driving will cause thousands of more deaths than it has already caused 3,000 deaths per year and will have an impact on cars and how cars are made in the future.


I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence of texting and driving is very severe because it is the number one cause of accidents among teenage drivers. Texting and driving has caused thousands of deaths each year and tens of thousands of injuries. If it is not stopped, it will take a fatal toll around the world. Someone needs to find a solution for this problem and should then be awarded a nobel-peace prize for bringing an authentic solution for texting and driving. 


But my intention is far from being confined to provide only for the betterment of the people. My solution will immensely help those on and off the roads. It will essentially eliminate all car accidents and will also eliminate distracted driving as a whole.


As to my own part, I have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be. The have come up with ride-sharing and the self driving car. Ride sharing is somewhat effective but still has the driver connected to their phone. Ride sharing uses an app that allows a driver to pick you up from where you are and also gives you directions. The self driving car is more efficient but it is predicted to be ready in 2020, which will leave another four years of texting and driving, causing more and more accidents. My solution will easily be the only one to be put into act right away, compared to the other solutions that will take longer than 2 months to a year.


I will now present my own idea, which I hope will not be subject to any disagreement.

 


I humbly offer it to public consideration that humankind as a cohesive and cooperative unit should, get rid of all motorized vehicles. By getting rid of all motorized vehicles, there will be no risk of texting and driving or distracted driving.


In this scenario every motorized vehicle will be taken to a junkyard and locked up. Everyone owning a vehicle will bring their vehicle to the junkyard with no hesitation.


Of course after all the vehicles are taken away, the people will wonder how they will get to work. They will have to walk or bike to work. This will be easy for not only adults but children also. Everyone knows how to walk, so you will be able to walk to work or school instead of driving. My solution will also offer a board with wheels that you connect to the bottom of your shoes and will essentially “drive” you to where you need to go. It will connect to your phone and then you can use google maps or any other GPS app to let it drive you to where you need to go, giving the people a way to get to work or the store instead of walking or riding a bike.


These drastic and sudden changes will shock many people. They may not want to give up their vehicle at first but it will benefit them in the long run to not have a vehicle. Having no vehicles will eliminate all car crashes and end distracted driving, saving the lives of the thousands of innocent people everyday that are involved in distracted driving accidents.


I can think of no valid objection that may be introduced to antagonize this proposal. Some may say getting rid of cars is a hopeless idea and that it will never happen. They are wrong though because not everyone “needs” their vehicle daily, this proving that if one person doesn't use their car than the other people can do it too.


Again, no one should dare to suggest these notions to me until they have a small spark of hope that these actions may be implemented.


It is not that I do not respect the input of others on the subject of solutions to this topic, but simply that getting rid of all vehicles is the only solution that will solve the problem of texting and driving because cars are the main cause of the accidents. Many months of research has been put into this solution and has given us the only possible solution to fully eliminate texting and driving.


The author's comments:

I dont like texting and driving so I was influenced to write a modest proposal about it.