My Thoughts on the Election | Teen Ink

My Thoughts on the Election

November 10, 2016
By Shamrock240 BRONZE, West Chester, Ohio
Shamrock240 BRONZE, West Chester, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Last night I went to bed with the hope the belief that Hillary Clinton would win the election. At 1:08 am I woke up in a cold sweat with a horrible feeling in my gut. I turned on my phone and googled the election polls. When they came up I swore I was dreaming. How could this happen; how could America elect a man like Trump. Going in to this election I would have bet my life on Clinton winning, because for me and most Americans the people Trump was talking to people who didn’t exist in the numbers Trump needed to win. There was a small fire burning in America called racism and Trump came along and dumped a gallon of gasoline on then stood by and laughed as it burned brighter and brighter.


I grew up in a middle-class family with a handicap dad, my mom became the main source of income. But there was never a moment where I was scared for my future, I was never afraid that I wouldn’t be able to do everything I had ever imagined myself doing. I had no reason to fear that my dreams wouldn’t come true, that there could be an America where people are reduced to their gender, skin color, or religion. For the first time in my life I woke up afraid. My reaction was like most of the others against Trump, the complete devastation of what was lost, wore on me all day.


Tomorrow is a new day, and we cannot let the decisions of a few define so many. We need to stand together and show our discontent with our government allowing a racist, sexist, islamophobic, homophobic man to lead our country. There was never a day where I was more reluctant to call myself an American. Never the less I will stay and fight the good fight, I sincerely hope you will too.


The author's comments:

My name is Anna, I live in Ohio, and I am 14 going on 15.