A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Media Bias | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Media Bias

November 11, 2016
By GavinHunterStarStudent BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
GavinHunterStarStudent BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF MEDIA BIAS


It is melancholy object to those who … America is becoming less and less trusting of the nation’s media because the clear bias being shown on television, in articles, during reports, and more.


I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence of this media bias corrupting our society more and more shouldn’t go unnoticed, and must be stopped before we are all brainwashed, sheltered. One must rise up and put an end to this dishonesty, for they would be doing the nation an honorable service and surely be rewarded with some form of accolade.


But my intention is far from being confined to provide only for the betterment of society, as this will have an effect lasting to the future for generations, while only nationally at first, but on a global scale soon after. Not only will society rest their worries on media, but crime, unjust court rulings, critic reviews, debates, and politician campaigns are just a few of the many things enhanced and purified by this.


As to my own part I have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be. Others have suggested we better our education system, as those who are uneducated are much more likely to fall into the trap of bias and not form opinions of their own. This is simply not possible, as pursuit of education is ultimately at the will of the individual and and is far far away from a guaranteed success. With my proposal, there is no stone left unturned, and it is truly going to affect every citizen to make the right choice.


I will now present my own idea, which I hope will not be subject to any disagreement.


I humbly offer it to the public consideration that humankind as a cohesive and cooperative unit, should collectively obey a law banning the use of lies. The bill is already on the senate floor, and when it becomes a law upon the president’s signature nobody will be allowed to lie anymore, for it will be illegal. With this, he first phase of the proposal will smoothly transition to the rest.


In this scenario those who do not comply with the law will be punished, whether the punishment is a fine or death. It will be in everybody’s best interest to avoid conflict with the law, so it will be followed.


The author's comments:

My version of A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift