Rise for Our Anthem | Teen Ink

Rise for Our Anthem

By theaalberti BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
theaalberti BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

Home is where you live. It’s where you’ve had to work hard to build and create everlasting memories. You would feel hurt, almost violated, if anyone disrespected your home. When a person doesn’t stand for the one minute and fifty seven seconds it takes to sing the National Anthem, it's as if someone is disrespecting your home. The United States of America is our home. It has given us opportunity to live freely and speak out. Turning one’s back or taking a knee is inappropriate and uncivil during the singing of the National Anthem at anytime or anywhere.

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, has refused to stand for the National Anthem during  his games. Colin explained his reasoning for kneeling to the National Anthem to NFL media in an interview after the game; “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color". He also mentions that he feels “selfish” about looking toward the flag. He says that people, particularly African Americans, are targeted and disrespected. He also mentions that they are being mistreated: “There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” Colin’s explanation for not standing up during the National Anthem. The NAtional Anthem was written by Francis Scott Key, a man who was about as pro-slavery, anti-black and anti-abolitionist as anyone during his time period could be. He is a famous football player who is watched by millions and he should lead by example and stand for the Nation Anthem to show respect toward his country. Standing up for the National Anthem is a part of the pregame ceremony, it gives players time to honor the United States.

In standing up for the National Anthem fans not only show respect for their country, but also respect for those who are serving and their families. The singing of the National Anthem should be a reminder of how lucky we are and should remind us of the men and women who risk their lives for the U.S. If you were to take a look around in a football stadium I’m sure you would see a man or woman from either the air force, navy, army, or coast guard. Some of those men and women wish they could stand, but they physically cannot. They put themselves in harm’s way so that we can have our football fields, our hot dog stands, our souvenir shops and our football players. They bust theirs, for yours, so show them that we thank them and stand up for that one minute and fifty seven seconds.

Writer Bernie Lincicome, from the Chicago Tribune believes that the standing for the National Anthem is anyone's decision. He mentions in his article: “I recall feeling very uncomfortable standing for Deutschland Uber Alles when the world cup came to Soldier Field. I stood, out of courtesy, but probably more so because everyone else was standing.”. It is a song in remembrance of those who died for everyone else to live in this free country. It is a song to remind us of the liberties we have. The National Anthem is a song of pride and courage. It's not just a song, it's our beliefs and defeat that brought us to our freedom that we still have to this day.

Although many people may disagree and think that the National Anthem is something we have to stand for before a soccer game or before a match of some sport, it is truly time to take in and be grateful. Citizens Of the U.S may have their differences, but the singing of the National Anthem brings us together. Many put their right hand over their heart, and close their eyes as they take a step back from reality, and realize how lucky they are. Listening and singing the National Anthem is a time to respect and stand, for those who can't. Respect your home, respect other people’s homes, respect this country and stand with pride for The National Anthem.

This is a muckraking essay for my english class. I wrote about how important it is to stand and respect the United States' National Anthem.

Paul & Ruth said...
on Nov. 6 2016 at 11:01 am
Great job! Excellent article, Kaepernick should read this article. Uncle Paul & Aunt Ruth

LauraA said...
on Nov. 5 2016 at 2:56 pm
Well written article Thea! So true and so proud