Every School Needs a Sexual Assault Class | Teen Ink

Every School Needs a Sexual Assault Class

By allimo357 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
allimo357 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri

Schools should have a required class or at least a program to teach kids about sexual assault and how to prevent it. The class would only be a quarter, unless the student wanted to go further.  Preventing meaning self defense and things to look for before the assault happens and to teach is also to show what is considered an assault. Things to look for are being slipped things in drinks at a party or bar. And what the class/program could teach would be to always keep to cup in your hand and always pour your own drink at a party and never have anyone buy you a drink. And also to understand that it's not only women who are raped. 1 out of 6 women are a victim of a attempted or completed sexual assault as to men who are 1 out of 33, even if the numbers have a dramatic difference, it still happens! The program or class should NEVER say that the victim was asking for it.

Cause no one would EVER ask for it. If you say the way that she (lets say the victim is female) has too revealing clothes on, then you are the problem! Sexualising a woman you most likely don't even know. For some woman, they were gifted/cursed with curves and it's very difficult to find clothing that doesn't shows the curves. You could argue that they could wear a t-shirt or a hoodie, but why are you limiting her, she can't feel confident in her body without you sexualizing her? It is never the victim's fault. No matter gender. Even if you guys were planning on it and they decided they weren't in the mood, that means you STOP.  The excuse of  “They were drunk” doesn't mean a damn thing.

Another thing that the class could try to change is the dress code rules. I get it if they are naked but some are sent home for showing shoulders. You are telling the young girls that the boys education is more important than hers. People opposed to this idea might say “it’s the feminazis taking over everything”. Which feminazi is a slur to poke fun at feminists. And the statement doesn't make sense. How are they the ones taking over *EVERYTHING*? The people in the class would be benefiting. Long term for sure, the class could help the students stop from getting assaulted. It would also let the students be aware if they have ever assaulted someone or have been assaulted. The class could provide a place of comfort for the assaulted.  Others argue that talking/teaching about sex to young people isnt healthy for the child. I would have to disagree. I don’t think you should go into crazy detail about “The birds and the bees” but they should need to know what a “bad touch” is and know how to protect themselves. It’s a scary world out there and if your child doesnt know that a older man/woman is touching them inappropriately then they will be taken advantage of. It’s scary and sad to think about it happening to your kid, makes me tear up thinking about it happening to my little sister. But with classes like these they will teach them what to do if they are being sexually assaulted and have a place to tell if they are being assaulted. 

WORKS CITED.

"Victims of Sexual Violence: Statistics | RAINN." Victims of Sexual Violence: Statistics | RAINN. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Oct. 2016.

"Your Role in Preventing Sexual Assault | RAINN." Your Role in Preventing Sexual Assault | RAINN. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Oct. 2016.

Dockterman, Eliana. "On Campuses, 'Party Culture' No Longer Excuses Rape." Time 187.24 (2016): 21-23. Academic Search Elite. Web. 4 Oct. 2016

"BRIEF: Rape statistics to know." Standard-Examiner (Ogden, UT) 29 June 2015: Newspaper Source. Web. 4 Oct. 2016.

LatteMonster SILVER, Durham, New Hampshire

"I can sum up everything I have learned about life in three words: It goes on."
-Robert Frost

Yes, this is very important. They have a watered down version of this at my old elementary school, but it mostly focused on peer pressure rather than an adult inappropriately touching them. And this sort of thing needs to be at all levels of school. They have people come in and talk about mental health, why not something just as important?

-Robert Frost