Washington Odyssey | Teen Ink

Washington Odyssey

By oppoist BRONZE, Santa Margarita, California
oppoist BRONZE, Santa Margarita, California

What makes someone larger than life or monstrous, a bonafide hero? Epic monsters and heroes still exist today. They may take a different shape or exist in a different society, but it is undeniable that certain people today are the mirror image of myths of old. Like the Greeks though, these certain people are usually larger than life and have special traits, like politicians. Were a movie to be cast today using prominent politicians in the roles of Polyphemus, Argos, and Odysseus these politicians would play them perfectly.

First of all, businessman Donald Trump would be cast as the cyclops Polyphemus. A trait that the cyclops displays is inhospitality as shown when he says to Odysseus’s men, who are his guests, that “[he] would not let [them] go-unless [he] had a whim to” (9.267-268). Donald Trump mirrors this image of hostility and inhospitality in his many rants about Muslims and Mexicans. As the cyclops was hostile to people who entered his home so comparably is Trump, who hates immigrants. Furthermore, Polyphemus is shown to have great strength which he uses to “[swing] high overhead a slab of solid rock to close the cave” (9.228-230 ).  Trump’s great wealth is comparable to the cyclops’ strength in that it enables him to do essentially anything he wants. This is seen in Trump by the fact that he felt he could be president with next to no political experience, but his wealth enabled him to start his campaign easily. This quote also shows that the cyclops makes a barrier to trap the men in a cave. This reflects on Trump because of his desire to build a wall to keep Mexicans in Mexico.

Secondly, President Barack Obama would be cast as the dog Argos. Whilst walking past Argos, Eumaeus comments that the dog used to be grand, “swift and strong-[h]e never shrank from any savage thing” (17.1066-1067);however, Argos was seen in the present  to “lay at last upon a mass of dung” (17.1045).  Obama can be related to Argos’  character because at the beginning of his presidency he was more hopeful and indefatigable. Now at the end of his eight years, much like Argos, he has become old and beat down from his plans and propositions being shot down by the opposing members of the Republican party. As well as that, Argos was “[t]reated as rubbish” (17.1044). Many times President Obama has been treated like rubbish unfairly. From conspiracies such as his birth certificate to the incorrect myth that Obama has increased the deficit when he has in fact lowered it, Obama has been wrongly treated.

Finally, the hero Odysseus would be played by presidential hopeful, Bernie Sanders. Odysseus is seen to be intelligent in such cases as when dealing with Polyphemus when he tricks him into proclaiming “Nohbody, Nohbody’s tricked me” (9.400-405 ) to the other cyclopes who then don't help him, thinking nobody has tricked him. Bernie Sanders intelligence is shown in many of the top issues politicians face. His takes on issues like health care and education resonate with this. He proposes to provide universal Medicare that is affordable to all and to make public college free and to lower student loans taxes. In addition, Odysseus is brave as seen when he stands alone against Scylla “[taking] up two heavy spears, then [making] [his] way along to the foredeck” (12.695-697). Sanders is also brave in his campaign in and of itself. He knows that his ideas for America are a little untraditional and some will reject them, as well as rejecting corporate funding and relying on the support of the people, but he still campaigns on.

In conclusion, monsters and heroes are still a prominent force in our society. They’re so prominent in fact they lead countries and vie for positions of power. Donald Trump, Barack Obama, and Bernie Sanders are just a few of these monsters or heroes, but fit their roles perfectly. Their myths events are unfolding right in front of the world. Once again, Odysseus and Polyphemus duke it out, but this time the end is indefinite.