President Obama’s Visit to Hiroshima | Teen Ink

President Obama’s Visit to Hiroshima

By JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Some of you may have heard in the news that President Obama was asked to visit the site of the first atomic bomb, Hiroshima. Although the plan to go to Hiroshima was delayed for some time, he decided to go in his last year of tenure. It is a milestone, being the first President to visit during duty but it brought mixed feeling during the trip. President Obama’s trip was to honor the dead. The mixed feelings rise up when he did not apologize for dropping a nuclear weapon on Japan. Many opinions have surfaced showing the dispute over an apology. On one hand, people say President Obama should be the President to apologize for what the United States did in 1945. Japan has been very vocal with anti-nuclear weapon protests and outcries. Some would say it completely destroys everything and it is against human rights. To use or even hold such destructive power is too great to control. On the other hand, people say to the opposers that if the United States government had not dropped the atomic bomb, millions of more people were going to die fighting until someone surrendered or died fighting.. This is the agreement's side’s argument. Now the question comes up, is it morally right to drop an atomic bomb with known effects that will completely wipe out a city and its people or leave millions to die in the upcoming months and years with dignity and respect.

To me, with new and interesting viewpoints, it is hard to decide which stance to take on this issue. I do believe however, the US and Japan have a better relationship today than ever before. These close allies both use nuclear power to provide a great deal of energy around their countries. Nuclear power is an amazing thing but should it be used in devastating ways? I believe the US and Japan will end up coming to a compromise for agreement and settle a long disputed issue.