Gun Control | Teen Ink

Gun Control

By braden67 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
braden67 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

People think that guns kill people but really it’s the people behind the gun that kill people. So people think that if guns are more restricted the crimes will go down, but that’s not true. So far the less guns there are the more crimes there is. Criminals don’t want to get shoot so by restricting people from owning guns the crime goes up. So what is gun control, why is it bad and what are my opinions on gun laws.

First what is gun control? States will have different laws but the general definition of gun control is laws on who can sell, buy and use guns. According to a 2015 post by The Washington Post California has rules where If you buy a gun you have to wait at least 10 days before you can actually pick up your gun and use it. You also can’t can’t buy more then 1 handgun a month. That is a form of stricter gun control or gun rights. Where in Mississippi you don’t have to wait to pick up a gun and you can buy as many guns as you want at once. That is an example of a loose gun law. Gun control also known as gun rights was first used used in 1964. Obama wants gun control because he thinks it will stop crimes. Or at least that’s what he wants us to think. According to Liberty247 in 2016 the real reason is that Obama doesn’t like having empowered citizens according to liberty247 in 2016. Obama also thinks that raising the price of ammo to guns will deter people from buying guns.

Why is having gun control a problem? Criminals do not want to get shot so they will stay away from people who have guns. The robbers will target the people that don’t have guns because they won’t be able to defend themselves. Also most mass killings in the United States happen in states with strict gun laws. Take the San Bernardino shooting, it happened in California which is the state with the strictest gun laws. According to the article Murder Capitol of The US California has 1699 murders each year. While Utah is last in strictest gun laws according to Murder Capital of The US and only has 67 murders each year. Isn’t it weird that the state with the strictest gun laws has the most murders and the state with the least restrictive gun laws almost has the least amount of murders.Is that because the criminal isn’t afraid of being shot? MOst gun owners know how to use a gun and care for them. It’s the people that don’t that end up killing somebody.

Now what are my opinions on gun laws? I’m not saying all gun laws should be erased and forgotten about but a few could be. I don’t think states need to have a lot of gun laws like California. I think that everybody that wants to own a gun should have to go through a gun training course like most young children that want to go hunting do. I went through a gun training course and I am safe with them and know how to handle them. Maybe a background check would be fine but not if you have to wait at least 10 days before you can get your gun. Also the Majority of people don’t even know what  AR stands for in AR-15. Most think it stands for Assault Rifle or Automatic Rifle but it doesn't it stands for Armalite Rifle. Are also not an assault weapon. An assault weapon is a fully auto which have been restricted from civilian ownership since 1934 according to NSSF in 2016. The only reason people think it stands for Assault Rifle is because everybody trying to make gun laws call it that to make it sound scarier. They make it sound scarier to help their case in not letting people own them. I come from a family that is pro gun and since I grew up around them I am also pro gun. Like I’ve said before guns do not kill people people kill people. What if you were walking down the sidewalk and a man holds you at gunpoint and you can’t do anything because the government took away the right to own guns, now you just have to hand over your belongings. Where if you had a gun you could have protected yourself and kept all your stuff. All the people that live off the land and need guns to survive won’t be able to now because they can’t have a gun. Right now an average gun owner owns 8 guns that’s from the Washington Post on October 21, 2015.  According to NBC news ? of Americans own guns. The NRA (National Rifle Association) has played a huge role in gun debate. CNN says that the NRA was able to get through legislation in Florida that if a doctor asked their patient if they own a gun ey would be punished. A article by Trip Gabriel from the New York Times on May 19, 2016 Donald trump said that if people were armed mass shootings like those in Paris and San Bernardino would be less deadly. He also wants a permit to carry a concealed gun valid in every state. Trump also has a permit himself.

People are still going to kill people even if they don’t have a gun. That will prove that it wasn’t the guns killing people it actually was people killing people. And maybe they will allow people to own guns again. So next time somebody says Assault Rifle or assault weapon you know what they are saying is incorrect. It’s not normal people that ruin gun rights it’s the people like the San Bernardino shooters that ruin it for the rest of us. Restricting guns still won’t keep guns of the street and out of a gang members hand. So remember the more guns we have the less crimes there are. Guns can keep our streets safe and make them dangerous depending on which way we go with gun control.