Gun Control Is a Problem | Teen Ink

Gun Control Is a Problem

May 16, 2016
By DillonAnderson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
DillonAnderson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

4 men dead and 9 wounded including two 14 year old boys in a mass shooting, in chicago in an article by Rosemary Regina Sobol on May 12th 2016.


How many people need to die before the really crack down on illegal weapons. In America there is an estimated 250-280 million firearms out of that many it is hard to tell how many are illegal. If you walk up to a police officer ask “ where do criminals get guns” he will probably respond with “ they steal them”. Which stealing firearms accounts for the lowest amount of illegal firearms. The most common ways are when someone who has no criminal record buys one for someone else or a person who can buy guns sells them illegally to criminals according an article by pbs called frontline hot guns.

According to an article in New York times there is more than one shooting a day. The worst shooting of 2015 was in San Bernardino California where 14 people were killed and 22 were injured by a married couple at a holiday party. Two of the guns in the shooting were supplied by a different person because the couple could not legally buy a firearm. Great britain has some of the most strict gun laws in world. In 2008-2009 firearms were used in only .3% of crimes. Only police officers, armed forces or a person with a written permission may have a handgun according to an article by the library of congress.


I'm not saying that everybody should have their firearms taken away from them there just needs to be stricter laws in the U.S. The way people can buy guns needs to change the best way to stop so many gun related crimes is make it harder to get them to civilians. The most common way they are getting to civilians people who can purchase guns go through an interview to make sure they are not buying it for somebody else. I mean look at the UK civilians can’t have handguns and there doing just fine without them.

Puting tighter gun control laws in the U.S is definitely not going to stop deaths but should lower the rate quite a bit. Handguns are the most common firearm used in murders with firearms which is kind of a given, nobody’s going to use a bolt action rifle for a close up murder. Many people don’t want to give up guns because they enjoy hunting with their family for game or venison meat or hunting for other animals, but the people that hunt by the right rules shouldn’t have it taken away. Nobodys going to go out into the woods with a 9mm pistol and shoot a deer, no most are going to use a shotgun or rifle.

I don’t want new gun control laws to make people protest because who wants any more of those annoying people in their day to day life, I just think we could really decrease the death rate by putting tighter laws on firearms. Criminals are eventually going to find away to get them whether it’s stealing or having somebody else buy one they're going to have them.By puting tighter laws on firearms kids that live in the slums might not have to worry about being killed at school for saying the wrong thing, which is a pretty good reason for me. Gun control is a problem.