The Case Against Donald Trump | Teen Ink

The Case Against Donald Trump

April 27, 2016
By myeung BRONZE, Erie, Pennsylvania
myeung BRONZE, Erie, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jake Flores, twitter user @feraljokes, offered up his commentary when he tweeted, “i’m starting to think that this is the last season of America and the writers are just going nuts” (2016) Flores was referring to the 2016 presidential election and how ridiculous the media coverage for it seems; when compared to previous campaigns. Such events include United States Senator Ted Cruz under suspicion of being a serial killer, Dr. Ben Carson falling asleep on national television, and Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders being heralded as “Birdie Sanders” after a bird landed on his podium during a rally in Oregon. Yet the most eccentric candidate who has American citizens in shock  is almost certainly Donald J. Trump, entrepreneur and  reality TV star.  And much like his reality TV costars, he is manipulative and eats up every single scrap of attention he can get, and these are plentiful, since he constantly uses controversy and petty fights to gain the public eye. But despite having massive publicity and fame, Donald Trump would not make a good president, because he does not understand what being a president means, his plan for the American people alienates minorities, and he has an abundance of enemies.


First of all, Donald Trump does not understand how the American government works. The article Here are 76 of Donald Trump’s many campaign promises for The Washington Post by Jenna Johnson includes a myriad of ludicrous claims such as, building a wall along the southern border which will be “artistically beautiful” and “the greatest wall that you’ve ever seen” in order to keep out the innumerable illegal immigrants fleeing from their country for the sake of The American Dream. When asked as to how he will actually find the funds to construct this breathtaking metaphor of the United State’s animosity towards immigrants, he has stated that he will make Mexico pay for the wall.  He has also vowed to scrap Obamacare, defund Planned Parenthood, and possibly cut the Environmental Protection Agency. As well as decommissioning these agencies and organizations designed to help the American people, Trump wishes to temporarily prohibit most Muslims from entering the country, create a database of Muslims and Syrian refugees, ban said refugees and deport the ones already living here. He plans to “bomb the s--- out of ISIS” and kill the relatives of terrorists, along with a great number of other oaths such as ensuring that every American will be able to play golf.  I am sure that the relatively small percentage of Americans who were looking forward to playing a fun game of golf with our “future president” will be saddened by the fact that in all likelihood Donald will fail to fulfil the bulk of his promises, seeing that the president does not have the power to create laws. According to the U.S. Government in Branches of Government, the president, as executive of state, cannot make any laws. The legislative branch establishes laws, and the judicial branch evaluates them and determines whether or not they are constitutional. “The Constitution of the United States divides the federal government into three branches to ensure a central government in which no individual or group gains too much control:” (2016) The only way he could make laws unilaterally would be to propose them to Congress, and even if he somehow obtained the majority to enact the law, it is likely that said laws will be named unconstitutional. In Jerry Markon’s article for The Washington Post, Expert’s: Trump’s Muslim entry ban idea ‘ridiculous,’ ‘unconstitutional’ it is established that his radical views towards the Muslim religion would contradict the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which gives the people the right to practice religion freely. The article quotes Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law expert at George Washington University who states “This would not only violate international law, but do so by embracing open discrimination against one religion. It would make the United States a virtual pariah among nations.” (2015). Trump’s ultimate lack of understanding of the very premise of the American government shows his deficiency in the credibility and experience he claims to have that will help him “Make America Great Again.” Can America truly thrive if we are made to look like fools by our president? Since Trump will never have the power to create the laws he proposes, and a huge percentage of the laws he could submit would be deemed unconstitutional, he will never be able to actually achieve the things he promises. This will cause America to lose the respect we have fought so hard to achieve. Given the nature of these potential laws, these constitutional obstacles should allow decent Americans to enjoy a huge sigh of relief - and make other Americans pause to think. If Trump’s laws are against the Constitution, the very foundation of our country, then how will they benefit us?


In addition to being unable to do what he vows to do, this candidate alienates minorities with the bulk of these questionable commitments. He has publically shown himself to be prejudiced and hostile toward hispanics, stating in his presidential announcement speech on June 16, 2015, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.” As well as his blatant racism regarding hispanics, he is also known to be opposed to muslims; accusing them of celebrating during 9/11 while being interviewed on ABC’s This Week on November 22, 2015. “There were people that were cheering on the other side of New Jersey, where you have large Arab populations. They were cheering as the World Trade Center came down. I know it might be not politically correct for you to talk about it, but there were people cheering as that building came down — as those buildings came down. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time, George. Now, I know they don’t like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time . . . Not good.”  No Donald, that is certainly “not good,” especially since Washington Post writer Glenn Kessler wrote an article titled Trump’s outrageous claim that ‘thousands’ of New Jersey Muslims celebrated the 9/11 attacks found that Trump was in his apartment in the Trump Tower during the 9/11 attacks, and Jerry Speziale, the police commissioner at Paterson, New Jersey confirmed that these words were false. However, despite all the evidence disputing his statements, a legion of Americans believed him.  Here is a man who is willing to lie just to make the American people angry at entire minority groups! In Here’s why I’m terrified of Donald Trump, an article by Linda Sarsour, Jessica Valenti, Syreeta McFadden, Trevor Timm, and John Paul Brammer, states that “You know what scares me more than Donald Trump, though? It’s the silent majority. He has empowered people to openly express hateful and bigoted behavior that in some cases has turned violent - and that’s the most dangerous thing of all.” (2016) People are getting hurt because of this man, and for a country that prides itself on being a “melting pot,” he is causing us to be very selective of the ingredients we stir in. According to Noor Wazwaz in his article, It’s Official: The U.S. is Becoming a Minority Majority Nation, for U.S. News, America is going to have a higher minority population than the majority population. “They may not know it, but for kids under the age of 5, the day the United States became a minority-majority nation has already arrived. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2014 there were more than 20 million children under 5 years old living in the U.S., and 50.2 percent of them were minorities.” (2015) It is clear that in the future, minorities will predominate our country. Thus, we cannot have a president who does not include and is publically against over half of our nation!


Donald Trump, while not only against 50.2% of America, also seems to make enemies every time he speaks. For example, a staggering majority of the Democratic party is excruciatingly against his views and no doubt loathes everything he stands for. This is based simply on the premise that Trump is a very radical conservative, and the Democratic party is decidedly liberal. He will hardly be able to work with Senate and Congress if numerous influential politicians are against him, and therefore will not be able to do what he promises. Members of his own party are also against him, along with his opponents in the race for president. In Meet the Republicans speaking out against Trump, an article by Anna Merod and Christina Coleburn for MSNBC, it is stated that there is a growing list of GOP officials who speak out against Trump. There is a reason these powerful and influential men and women are so vehemently against him. It is because Trump has proved countless times that he is immature, ridiculous, and unreliable. However, Trump also has a huge enemy against him outside of the government that has the power to influence the public view, the media. He has banned countless media outlets from interviews and press conferences. The Los Angeles Times published Trump’s campaign manager is charged with battery against reporter by Joseph Tanfani that informs that his campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, was even charged with battery after he grabbed reporter Michelle Fields for the Breitbart News Network. When a candidate’s staff is targeting reporters who are just trying to do their job and harming them, it is pretty obvious that something is not right. Sam Stein, a senior politics editor at The Huffington Post said, “"Having vendettas against outlets and playing it out to the point that you're not letting them in as press is ridiculous," (Here’s how Donald Trump Controls the Media, 2016) So with all these signs of opposition in congress and the media, it is plain to see that everything will just end in a standstill and nothing is going to be accomplished.


Although there are many reasons as to why one should not support Donald Trump, there is still a strong percentage of Americans who feel that he should be president. Their reasoning behind this is stated in The Case for Donald Trump, an article for the New York Times by Chris Collins. “Americans are angry . . .. Finally, millions of Americans are saying, “Enough is enough.”” (2016)  They are scared of what is going on around them, and angry at their inability to stop it. And because of this, they are turning towards a man who knows exactly what to say to stoke the fire burning in the hearts of many Americans. Gerald F. Seib of The Wall Street Journal, when asked how Donald Trump stays at the top of the polls despite making controversial statements on a regular basis, writes “The answer has less to do with Mr. Trump—who is pretty much the same guy who toyed with presidential runs in the past, to no great effect—than with the mood of the electorate, or at least a slice of it.” (Why Donald Trump Survives the Waves He Makes, 2015) When one searches up “terrorism” on Google, over 190,000,000 results are pulled up in less than a second. Terrorism and struggles in the Middle East are the focal point of the world right now, and these issues are causing many Americans to act out irrationally in panic. Trump aims comments towards Muslims to stir up hostility between Muslims and the majority of America. In How Anger Poisons Decision Making, an article for the Harvard Business Review by Jennifer S. Lerner and Katherine Shonk states “angry people tend to rely on cognitive shortcuts—easy rules of thumb—rather than on more systematic reasoning. They’re also quick to blame individuals, rather than aspects of a situation, for problems.” (2010) Trump is instilling fear and anger into the American people, using tactics that are comparable to Adolf Hitler’s regime over Nazi Germany to cause people to lash out without reason. Politicus USA published an article by senior opinion columnist and editor Rmuse titled This Is Why Donald Trump Sounds and Acts Like Adolf Hitler cited Donald Trump’s ex-wife Ivana from a Vanity Fair interview that stated “from time to time her husband reads a book of Hitler’s collected speeches, My New Order, which he keeps in a cabinet by his bed.” Trump’s tactics are very comparable to Hitler’s, using the same strategy of aggressiveness and scare-propaganda. The article that argues for Trump, The Case for Donald Trump, begins with the sentence “Americans are angry.” But is that a good thing? When someone says they are a Trump supporter, they are being fooled by the Hitler-like campaigns and are making rash decisions based on the collective animosity and tension that is shaking America to its core. Based on his principles, it is clear that Donald Trump would not make a good president, not only because of his fear based propaganda, but also because he does not understand the role of a president, he is prejudiced against minorities, and he has enemies all throughout Washington and the media.


It is clear by now from experts and evidence that Donald Trump is neither a credible nor reliable candidate in the 2016 Presidential Debate. In an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper on March 30, 2016, he replies to accusations about his actions towards fellow candidate Ted Cruz’s wife Heidi in which Trump tweeted an unflattering picture of her comparing it to his wife. Trump stated “Excuse me, I didn’t start it,” to which Cooper replies, “But sir, with all due respect, that’s the argument of a 5-year-old. … Every parent knows a kid who says he started it.” Seeing all this evidence laid out, Donald Trump is not going to make a good president because he does not understand what being a president entails, his plan for the American people alienates minorities, and a large majority of the American government and media is against him.  One of the biggest job the president has is representing our country, and do we really want the figurehead of America to have the maturity of a five year old with a spray tan? When it comes to “Making America Great Again,” we have to overcome all the bigotry and bias ideas that are led by men like Donald J. Trump. The only way to keep him out of office is to vote against him. I hope that you, as an American voter, will do so.


The author's comments:

The hostility and friction that Trump is creating is threatening to pull our nation apart. He claims that he will "make America great again," but what exactly does he envision as "great?" As a teenager, I do not have the right to vote. However, that has never stopped me from trying to get my opinion out there through outlets where people will listen to me.