Caring for Our Common Home | Teen Ink

Caring for Our Common Home

April 20, 2016
By smyip BRONZE, Danville, California
smyip BRONZE, Danville, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The California drought has been the center of concern in recent years as the decline of precipitation has severely impacted people across the state. From sporadic wildfires and record breaking temperatures, the climate change has impacted the states distribution of goods, primarily on farmers and their land. California’s stereotypical warm beaches and surfers in the salty oceans overlook the natural organic land that lies just miles away. As a result of the drought, the production of crops has been largely impacted despite the hard work farmers invest in upon their land. The lack of moisture and rain has farmers struggling to find a source of water to provide for their crops. No water means that the crops are unable to grow at their fullest potential, leaving farmers in a financial challenge. Markets and corporations are forced to buy products outside California and the US itself, and import foreign crops from other countries. The questionable pesticides and chemicals lurk within the crops that should be raised right on our own soil rather than some thousand miles away. But the desperation of water grows even larger as many farmers have been breaking into earth’s natural waters below our land, leading to a sunken ground. The destruction of land and desperation are only a few consequences this California drought caused.


Consumers alike are forced to pay the increase in prices on their locally grown food or take a risk of choosing crops that are imported from other countries. But whether or not consumers must pay more for their food, this drought is unlikely to diminish the problem that continues to force them to find a solution.  Blame can be sought out to the result of factories and automobiles over the years and California’s residents are facing the consequences now. The states known for the prestigious wine in Napa Valley or the juicy sweet strawberries in Fresno, is now failing to meet the expectations of critics. But what more can be done other than create new ideas to decrease the critical state we are in instead of adding to the destruction of our home.


Governor Jerry Brown’s steps to intervene were only too late to prevent more destruction in the environment we call home. His attempt to impose mandatory water restrictions on residents raised concerns on whether or not these restrictions would actually make a difference to this growing issue. With people of wealth, such as Mark Zuckerberg, they are able to pay off the extra charges just for a luscious, vibrant lawn. Their lack of concern on the actual severity of our state raises questions on whether California will even be a state within the next fifty years or just another duplicate of the Sahara desert. Residents across this state call it home but how can it be called this when there are those that abuse it? An automatic responsibility to care for the land we live upon is thrown away and without this knowledge, our common home will just be another place on Earth. Home is where the heart is and without the heart, there is no place to be called home.


The author's comments:

The California drought inspired me to write this piece. After a hard adjustment in my family's household, I have realized it is a much larger issue that other people think of. I hope with this piece it will provide inspiration and enlightenment to residents of California but also outside of my home state.