Be a Computer Dilutor | Teen Ink

Be a Computer Dilutor

By oliviaselvag BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
oliviaselvag BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Imagine a dull world that revolves strictly around computers. A world where technology, the internet, and crazy devices is all we know. And without them, we would have no idea how to survive. This world, is our near future. As new generations grow up with an unhealthy dependence on computers, the world will no longer be colorful and new. Instead, it will become repetitive. People’s lives will be identical. This is NOT the world we want to live in. Computer use should be cut back on because it negatively impacts one’s health by not only decreasing hours of sleep and grades, but also causing health issues.

To begin, students already struggle to fall asleep with their mass amounts of schoolwork, and their high usage of computers just adds to the struggle. According to David Reilly, a high school principal, his school began to start their first period class at 9am because the teen's over usage their technology. Reilly says that, “...students were showing up bleary-eyed…” due to their late night usage of computers and other devices and lack of sleep (Richtel). Sleep is especially important for students, who need their brainpower to work hard all day at school. The addictive factors of computers and technology make students stay up all night using them. Not getting enough sleep affects students' well-being. If usage of computers and devices decreases, the hours of sleep will increase. According to New York Times reporter Anahad O’Connor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute conducted a study on light from a computer’s effect on sleep. Their studies showed that light from a computer screen “lowered levels of the hormone melatonin, which regulates our internal clocks and plays a role in the sleep cycle”. The sleep deprivation being seen in schools is actually a physical change caused by the use of technology. When a student’s sleep cycle is thrown off, they end up going to sleep at late times, which does not allow them to have the brainpower they need for school the next day. Students must decrease the amount of light from screens they are exposed to before going to sleep to increase hours of sleep. As seen, sleep deprivation is a huge factor in the over usage of computers and other technology.

Secondly, over usage of computers is also, on top of other problems, seen causing a drop in grades. Sean, a student who loves video games, becomes uncomfortable with his habit when it begins to lower his grade. He says that he, “...wishes that his parents would force him to quit playing and study” so that he could receive encouragement to stop playing (Richtel). Although video games are Sean’s, and many other student’s passion, many people like him need to learn where to draw the line. The misusage of computers causes a conflict because these people end up getting their priorities out of whack and putting gaming before school, when it should be the opposite. If the overall usage of these computers is cut down, than the gaming time will decrease allowing more time to put effort into school work and receive a better grade. As mentioned in a New York Times article written by Randall Stross, a piece of writing from the Quarterly Journal of Economics reports about students who had received home computers also receiving, “significantly lower school grades in math, english, [and more]”. The computer, put into the home for purposes of scholar improvement, ended up showing the exact opposite result. Students on computers cannot stay on task and complete the assignment. This is because the device itself is a distraction, no matter the work assigned. According to Scaling the Digital Divide, middle school test scores from math and reading classes in years 2000-2005 had a significant drop after faster internet service was brought to their community (Randall). Giving students access to faster internet gives them more opportunity to become off task. Students can easily access off topic sites quickly and disrupt their time to work. The computer is already a distraction, and giving students faster internet is doing no more than adding fuel to the fire. Clearly, stopping overusage of computers and misusage of computers, grades will increase.

Next, overuse of computers can lead to many physical health issues. In the study conducted by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, results showed that sleep disruption was not the only occurrence caused by screens. Obesity, diabetes, and other disorders came from the overexposure (O’Connor). Due to looking at screens for long periods of time, these health issues come into play. If less students were stuck looking at screens, these disorders could be less of a problem. According to a contributing author at Opposing Views, using a keyboard for long periods of time can lead to hand injuries such as tendinitis and carpal tunnel syndrome. Many students end up typing for long periods of time for assignments. If students were not typing as much on computers, these hand injuries would not occur as often. According to the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), computers can also lead to back and spine injuries. These injuries are caused by “sitting for long periods of time in a chair that does not support the lower back”. On top of the unsupportive chairs, it is extremely likely that students have poor posture while sitting in their chairs on these computers. This can make matters even worse. As seen, too much use of computers can cause dangerous injuries and health issues.

Opposingly, some may say that computers should be used just as much, or maybe more, as they are now because they believe social media can benefit students. They say that social media can allow people to remain social, support networks, and be able to access information easier. They also mention that social media can improve “self-confidence and social skills” (ReachOut). However, something that these people have failed to consider is the long list of downsides to social media. According to National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), there is “increasing evidence that the Internet and social media can influence suicide-related behavior”. The internet feeds into people’s decision to kill themselves, which is yet another reason why computer use should be cut back. Researchers also found that there were over two hundred forty different sites on topics such as suicide, suicide methods, how to kill yourself, and more (NCBI). Not only is the internet influencing suicide, but literally giving computer users strategies to take their own life. Obviously, social media on computers is not a benefit since it does increase suicide odds.

As aforementioned, computers negatively affect people’s health and lives and decreasing their use would benefit people immensely. By reducing use of computers, people can become more hours of sleep, increase their grades, and diminish many health issues caused by the usage of these devices. Cutting down on computer use is a give in based on all the evidence there is to support it. If action is not taken, the earth is on it's way to becoming lifeless, uncreative, and unoriginal. End the path this planet is on. Watch out for yourself and the world around you before it is doomed to become something it was never intended to be. Be a computer dilutor, and change the world.

Works Cited
"Benefits of Internet and Social Media." ReachOut Professionals. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Apr. 2016. .
"Negative Effects of Computers on Children." Science. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Apr. 2016. .
"Part B: Computer-Related Injuries, Illnesses and Discomfort." AFSCME. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Apr. 2016. .
"Really? Using a Computer Before Bed Can Disrupt Sleep." Well. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Apr. 2016. .
Richtel, Matt. "Growing Up Digital, Wired for Distraction." The New York Times. The New York Times, 20 Nov. 2010. Web. 25 Apr. 2016. .
Stross, Randall. "Computers at Home: Educational Hope vs. Teenage Reality." The New York Times. The New York Times, 10 July 2010. Web. 25 Apr. 2016. .