The Obama Intern | Teen Ink

The Obama Intern MAG

By Molly Fessler BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
Molly Fessler BRONZE, Canton, Michigan

I didn’t plan on the woman in the coffee shop changing my life. I just wanted a bumper sticker. She had a six-inch stack with “Obama for President” in large blue letters. But Amy was not just ­selling paraphernalia. She was the new area manager for the Obama campaign, and she was hiring interns.

That day, I became a volunteer for Team Obama. It was the middle of July, and I spent the rest of my summer as one of the chief staplers, copiers, and coffee makers of the Southeast Michigan Headquarters. Amy taught me the ins and outs of modern campaign work. I made phone calls, tracked voters in databases, wrote letters to superdelegates, and knocked on hundreds of doors. My special job was organizing area teens. We registered voters at park festivals, signed up volunteers at school registration, and baked cookies for fellow volunteers.

I had worked on campaigns before, but this one was different. It changed me. At the start of the summer I was a shy, rather unsure 16-year-old, but by the time November rolled around, I was confident and felt good about the work I’d done. Everyone who helped with the Obama campaign felt a palpable energy, a ­ferocity of hope and joy that we were working toward something that really mattered. Maybe we couldn’t change the world, but if Obama got elected, we’d come pretty close.

From the beginning, Obama has inspired people to work together to make life better for everyone. He has told us that we are responsible for changing our world, and he has called us to action. Obama makes me feel as though things will be better, and that I can be a part of it.

Election Day was amazing. Inauguration Day was even better. Barack Obama was elected because ­people had hope that we could fix our many problems together. Amy had a part in it. Millions of volunteers had a part in it. I had a part in it. On the way to an inauguration party, I smiled at that bumper sticker on the back of my minivan. I am so grateful that I stopped for a coffee that day.

on Jan. 9 2013 at 11:09 am
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

Sorry, but I've got a friend with Cancer who doesn't want to go to her treatmnets because they charge her extra because she doesn't have health insurance. Thanks, but I'd rather not support Obama.

on Sep. 7 2012 at 1:55 am
KayleCrosson11 GOLD, Moate, Other

"And When he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
and he will make the face of heaven so fine,
that all the world will be in love with night,
and pay no worship to the garnish sun."

Alright so every president has had their ups and downs, but Obama has done something really incredible. Under his administration, Osama Bin Laden was found and killed, something George Bush couldn't do for eight full years. It took obama three. Obama rescused the auto industry, a huge aspect of the american economy. Obama cares so much about his citizens that he wanted them to have free health care, no matter how poor you are. That's his sheer compassion. In terms of economics, Obama's second quarter of 2009 as President saw the second largest GDP improvement in 25 years, and the largest jobs improvements in 30 years. The economy is slowing starting to pick up once again, we've gone from catastrophic to mediacore now, so let's let him finish this job. The war on terror, america's longest war, will be over by 2014. That was again his adiministration. So I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you. Obama moves America forward. 

on Mar. 15 2012 at 6:19 pm
JakeRyan221 BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

"Offend the mind to expose the heart"

sooooooooo do u still like Obama? after all, he did double our debt that has been accumulating for TWO HUNDRED YEARS in one term???? do you remember when gas was 1.89 cents? (before Obama took office) and if he reeeaaaalllyyy cared about the economy, wouldn't he have opened up the keystone pipeline to end our dependence on foreign oil? I GUESS NOT! so just let this swim through your head for a while then reply back. (if you have a valid arguement) ;)

on Feb. 11 2012 at 11:01 pm
bookthief PLATINUM, Concord, Massachusetts

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." -- John W. Gardener

I agree, Electricity... but I think that many fourteen and thirteens actually make informed, educated decisions about politics. They're just a minority.

on Jan. 9 2012 at 11:13 am
skyaroundtheworld BRONZE, Utica, Pennsylvania

"The world is a book and those who travel read just one page"

Wonderful story! It's nice to see someone that's not anti-Obama. Thank you for your support and work that you did on the campaign - I haven't been involved with any before but I would like to.

on Apr. 19 2011 at 2:24 pm
TinaFeyfan BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey

"Its my way till pay day."- 30 Rock

Swimmergirl I disagree, but I respect your opinion. I do believe that Obamais not just a great speech giver, but a great leader. I don't think that Bush's administration was that big of a succsesss. The tax cuts to millonares were unnessary. Also, AsIAm Obama is not leading us into socialisom.I suggest you look up that definintion.

on Feb. 13 2011 at 2:33 pm
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

Wow! I love this story! I also worked on the Obama campaign locally. I spent lots and lots of time stuffing envelopes and knocking on doors with my friends. Although it took up a lot of my summer, it was worth it. I'm glad you wrote this article. :)

on Oct. 27 2010 at 8:47 am
susu.ali BRONZE, Minneapolis, Minnesota
i wonder what you swimmergirl and asiam....think of bush's eight years as president? honeslty i want to know what you think of President Bush???

LexiB SILVER said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 8:08 pm
LexiB SILVER, Tallassee, Alabama

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go."

Joshua 1:9

I totally agree. That's funny.

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 8:33 pm
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

swimmergirl, I completely agree.  Obama is turning America in the complete wrong direction, and is even turning it socialist.  tipsyniinja16, I agree, people do make mistakes.  But the time to experiment and go against the will of the masses is in a high school election, not when leading a world power.  And to Isabel96 (though your's was a different comment) Bush was human too, but he did better than Obama is doing, and even if he hadn't, there is no way to blame him after two years.  I respect Obama for his position of leadership, but I certainly do not condone his decisions.

on Oct. 22 2009 at 1:04 pm
okay first i love this piece. nd i have to disaqree with swimmerqirl. i mean in some ways it mitee be a mistake. but you have to realize. he is a person nd im sure in hiqhschool you were elected nd madee a cmplt failure of yourself. he is new to this the only this we can do is support nd not critisise. in a way you make a point but there is a classy way of expressinq your opinion.=)

on Oct. 17 2009 at 12:06 pm
Isabel96 BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
I think this article is great. I agree completely with your view of Obama. He is an amazing man and is in the process of becoming an amazing president. Just because he hasn't completely fixed the country in less than a year after 8 years of Bush messing up, doesn't mean he won't in the next three years. He is a great president who has gotten off to a strong start and you are so lucky to be a part of that. Great Article!

on Sep. 25 2009 at 8:13 pm
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

you know what? whether he is a great president or or a complete failure, he is still human- lets remember that, shall we?;)

on Aug. 11 2009 at 9:49 pm
Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
This piece is well written. I have to agree with swimmergirl, for I think Obama is a great president. He has true intentions for america, I think he's doing a fantastic job and doing a lot. I'm glad that you became a volunteer for Team Obama, it's what I'd like to have done (i'm only 14). What I do believe is that kids my age base their opinions about politics on what their parents think. So, when I hear a girl of 14 say that she likes or dislikes a candidate, I take that it's her parent's thoughts too.

on Aug. 5 2009 at 6:51 pm
swimmergirl GOLD, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Your piece is very well written, but I completly disagree. I think that electing Obama(aka One Big Awful Mistake America) was not a huge success for our country, but an enourmous failure. It also just proves how gullable the people in our country are because all he is, is a good speaker not a good leader.