What Happens in the Fishbowl Stays in the Fishbowl | Teen Ink

What Happens in the Fishbowl Stays in the Fishbowl

When someone buys an aquarium, they are told to put in only an inch of fish for each gallon of water in the tank to ensure the best health for the creatures inside. Unfortunately, this sort of rule cannot translate to the containment of six-ton marine mammals. The whole idea that humans capture and breed orca whales to keep them in what is proportionally a mid-sized swimming pool for their entire adult lives seems so absurd, but millions of people continuously choose to not question it. Obviously, this lifestyle is far from what these massive, dynamic animals were made for. Marine parks should not be allowed to keep orcas in captivity because the conditions are not suitable for them and create numerous health problems as a result. SeaWorld has defended their practices by claiming the benefits of their research when in fact, it cannot provide completely accurate information and gives minimal funding to the cause.

Marine parks have convinced the public that they provide the best possible environment for the orcas, but their statements are questionable. Orcas are highly active creatures, and some even migrate up to over 6,200 miles (Hood 1). SeaWorld confines Tilikum, the largest orca in their system, to a pool that is smaller than the establishment’s food court. In order to properly take care of an animal, one must give them the most appropriate living space, which includes enough room to allow regular activity. Another error in Seaworld's housing method is their attempt to build a community. In the wild, orcas organize themselves into matrilineal societies that have their own unique dialects and can contain several generations of families (Orca Whales 3). SeaWorld puts several whales from different social circles in one habitat, eliminating the strong emotional bonds that free orcas experience in their pods and creating conflict that leads to hostility. No creature will have a fulfilling life when they are removed from their natural environment and put in a crude enclosure that is anything but appropriate. If marine parks did not try to keep orcas, the struggle and consequences of trying to create a proper area for them would not exist.

Predictably, the living conditions that orcas experience have taken a toll on their health. SeaWorld adamantly defends their image by saying these whales live around 15-30 years, when most scientific journals estimate orcas, depending on gender, live to anywhere from 50-80 years [Killer whale (Orcinus orca) 2]. Forcing an animal into a lifestyle that reduces their life expectancy is abuse, and is not worth the source of entertainment. Keeping whales in captivity also leads to the death and injury of trainers, which is likely due to the effect confinement has on the orca’s mental health. Biologists believe that their small, artificial environment makes them neurotic, and they lash out in result (Landau 6). SeaWorld has repeatedly stated that these attacks occurred because of errors made by trainers, but documents show that they administer anti-anxiety drugs to their whales, which would not be needed if they indeed have adequate mental health (Cronin 3). Exhibiting orcas in marine parks is dangerous for everyone involved, yet the companies still insist their actions do more good than harm.

SeaWorld considers itself not only an entertainment business, but also a research facility. They release information collected from studying their orcas, but it is not credible. Living in captivity and unnatural environments changes these animals and their metabolisms, so findings from marine parks are not relevant to wild orcas (Cosentino 7). Along with providing useless information, SeaWorld could be spending more on research to actually make a difference in helping these animals. For every $1,000,000 made, they donate only $600 to conservation (Orca Captivity). If this franchise truly cared about their main attractions, they would put more effort into preserving the species and not capitalizing on the exploitation of it.

Keeping orcas in parks is no longer about bringing joy to the audience. Recent events show that these big companies only care about benefitting themselves and protecting their image so they can continue to make money. Life in a pool has never been enough for these creatures, and it never will be.

This piece was an English assignment regarding keeping orcas in captivity I completed after watching the 2013 documentary Blackfish.