Free Them So We Can Understand Them | Teen Ink

Free Them So We Can Understand Them

By abigail.bezdek BRONZE, Roseville, California
abigail.bezdek BRONZE, Roseville, California

For generations the only world people have lived in, is a world where animals are put on display for public entertainment. What differs my parents generation from mine is we are now learning the dark secrets about keeping animals locked in cages.  It is now that we are realizing the small spaces and unnatural circumstances we keep wild animals in are having an effect on their behavior. This dangerous and abnormal behavior often leads to trainer and caretaker incidences, often even fatalities. In order to keep humans as well as animals safe and healthy, we must keep wild animals in their natural habitats.

We [as humans] often think that in order to gain a better understanding of something we must bring it closer to us. Think of it as a kid in an antique store. He constantly removes fragile foreign things from their shelves and touches them in order understand their details. Eventually, he picks up a glass ornament and when he begins to bring it closer, it breaks. We have taken animals from their environments and hoped it would help us to understand their behavior. However, the animals, due to the lack of natural environments and circumstances, they often behave abnormally. We can not understand a species mannerisms if they are taken from their habitats and subject to stress.

In the wild, orcas have little to no reported aggression. In captivity, they have been known to lash out and attack trainers as well as other orcas. According to the Humane Society whales are always swimming, it’s not uncommon for them to swim for hundreds of miles a day (Humane Society par.3). Because of captivity, Orcas are limited to swimming in circles endlessly (Humane Society par. 7). Often, they are even seen floating aimlessly which is a highly unusual behavior in Orca whales. In the Wild, Orcas normally remain in close knit family pods that often stay together for a lifetime. Captivity makes these essential bonds impossible. Every natural action of an orca is altered when they are placed in captivity. This shift leads to many emotional and physical problems. One of the most common problems that develops is aggression. 

Specifically one whale, Tilikum, has been known for his aggression.  Over the course of almost 20 years Tilikum has killed 3 trainers. Tilikum's aggression and abnormal behavior isn’t without reason though. His cruel treatment has been carried on throughout most of his life. At the age of 2, Tilikum was captured and kept in a cement box for close to a year. When put in a habitat, he was bullied and harassed by two more dominant whales. The two female whales would bite and “rake” him. The stress of performing in shows and the attacks from the other orcas caused him to develop stomach ulcers. After the death of Dawn Brancheau, Tilikum was kept in a tiny enclosure. Because of the attack, he was kept in isolation for one year. When you understand the circumstances he lives in his actions seem less aggressive and more desperate.

In National Geographic’s interview with John Hargrove, former senior trainer at Seaworld, an insider's perspective on the captivity of Orcas and other marine wildlife is revealed. Hargrove Describes the captivity of these animals for profit as “morally and ethically unacceptable.” At the age of six Hargrove was “seduced” by the wildlife shows put on by Seaworld. And after working as a trainer he now advocates for Orca whales in captivity. He explains that though these animals are impressive they are still killer whales and as a trainer you must remember they can lash out at any moment.  He describes Seaworld as “a massive corporate entity [that] is exploiting the hell out of the whales and the trainers.”  He refuses to be silenced and has hired a legal team to ensure that Seaworld does not violate his first amendment right.

The federal government has justified the capture and captivity of Killer Whales with the Marine Mammal Protection Act. They state that the practice is used for educational purposes. However, we can not expect to take animals from anything natural about their lives and have them them to act as they naturally would. Therefor the ‘education’ we are giving to our children and future generations is inaccurate due to the unnatural circumstances in which these animals live. In order to understand the species’ we share this world with, we can not trap them in little boxes and subject them to stress. Orcas and other animals should not be showcased in cages, but rather observed in the wild. The unnatural behavior of the orcas in captivity proves that you can not come to an accurate conclusion about the mannerisms of animals if they are not completely immersed in their naturals surroundings. In order to understand them, they must be free.

Works Cited
Kuo, Vivian. "Orca Trainer Saw Best of Keiko, Worst of Tilikum - CNN.com." CNN. Cable
News Network, 28 Oct. 2013. Web. 05 Nov. 2015.
"Over 30 Years and Three Deaths: Tilikum's Tragic Story - SeaWorld of Hurt." SeaWorld of
Hurt. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Sept. 2015.
"Marine Mammals in Captivity." RSS. N.p., 25 Sept. 2009. Web. 05 Nov. 2015.
Miller, Michael E. "SeaWorld Fined for Improperly Protecting Employees from Killer Whales."
Washington Post. The Washington Post, n.d. Web. 05 Nov. 2015.
"SeaWorld Says It Has to Keep Orcas in Captivity to save Them." Mother Jones. N.p., n.d. Web.
25 Sept. 2015.
Worrall, Simon. "Former Trainer Slams SeaWorld for Cruel Treatment of Orcas." National
Geographic. National Geographic Society, 29 Mar. 2015. Web. 05 Nov. 2015.