Capital Punishment | Teen Ink

Capital Punishment

November 6, 2015
By itsbrittneybatch BRONZE, Big Lip, Louisiana
itsbrittneybatch BRONZE, Big Lip, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm cool." - me


Death penalty is not the answer to any crime. Capital punishment is a common controversy in the United States of America because some human beings say death is the answer, but others say death is not the answer. Death is a permanent option; the person being convicted of the crime and sentenced to death cannot be brought back to life once the process of death row is carried out. There are various cases where the suspect is found not guilty before they are actually about to die, but other suspects are found not guilty once they are dead. In fact, 4% of people sentenced to death are later found not guilty after they are deceased. Also, religious people’s bibles (anyone with morals) clearly states to not kill, so even if the person that is being convicted of murder does not mean they should die too because then the people sentencing the suspect to death is also a murderer.


In December 1989, Carlos DeLuna was put to death in Huntsville, Texas for a murder he did not commit. DeLuna was accused of stabbing a gas station clerk to death in Corpus Christi, Texas. He was accused because eyewitnesses described DeLuna’s facial features, but didn’t know that Carlos Hernandez had a striking resemblance to DeLuna. Police also believed the suspect to be DeLuna because he has had run-ins with the law. For example, DeLuna had a record of numerous arrests for burglary, public drunkenness, a conviction for attempted rape, and auto theft, it seemed that the police had found their killer.


In any God praising bible, verse Exodus 20:13 states “You shall not murder.” Plain and simple, even the law says people should not commit murder. So, why is it okay for the government to commit murder when it is clearly wrong? Who are we to say that someone deserves to die, God should choose when someone should live or die not us human beings. 


There are always those “what if” questions as in; what if the person on death row is someone loved, like, your aunt, cousin, sibling, or parent? What would happen if they kept saying they were innocent and the police have it all wrong? Or your loved one that is now deceased because of capital murder is found innocent after all the years that passed by, what would you do? Would you still be for capital murder or against it? Some people would even think that a person who believes in capital murder, but doesn’t think it is right to kill someone is a hypocrite. If it was all up to you whether someone lives or dies and you don’t even know if they are completely innocent or not would you kill them?


Someone who is not perfect should put no one to death. Verse John 8:7 states “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”  No one on this living earth is perfect. Why is that the government is legally allowed to take someone’s life away?