The Next Human Gavel: Who Do We Want as President? | Teen Ink

The Next Human Gavel: Who Do We Want as President?

October 4, 2015
By Arjun_Sharma BRONZE, Laurel, Maryland
Arjun_Sharma BRONZE, Laurel, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Who will make the best president in the eyes of youth? I mean, so far in the 2016 race, all that has been occurring is meaningless mudslinging between recently announced candidates. Each Republican is essentially holding a gun to the other’s head in the desperate hope that citizens will support whoever can point out the most faults of the other. Even worse are the Democrats, who are, really, being completely ignored due to the fact that 51% of Americans are sick of the Obama administration. Each day we hope that at least one person will announce a plan or a reform policy that will actually fix America. The young people of this country want a solution, not the best of the worst, and almost every candidate has shown a flaw that is leaving us torn between who to choose as the next leader of this wonderful nation. Even President Obama has realized this, recently joking that he would win if he ran in 2016. Donald Trump has been criticized as being too vitriolic and offensively reckless, Jeb Bush has been called too “low key”, Hillary Clinton has been accused of scandalous emails, and Bernie Sanders is now referred to as socialist.  Where does our hope lie? Maybe, eventually, one of these candidates will fit the bill of what our country requires. However, as of now, patience is the only key.

 
In terms of what the next generation wants, it is very simple. As a student, I strongly believe we want better student loan policies and affordability, tax cuts, and an opportune economy to provide stability and job growth in our future. Looking ahead is the most important part of leading a nation, which is one of the only things the candidates seem to be doing correctly.  Lawmakers can be criticized harshly because of one wrong decision, and their ability to deal with that is the most crucial thing to the security of the nation. For example, if raising taxes means beneficial infrastructure for impoverished areas, then it also means anger from the directly affected middle class. It is too early to decide whether any of the current candidates seem promising to handle this task. The Republican debate that took place on August 6th established the primary positions of the majority of the candidates. Some proved to be loyal to conservatism, and others pledged to revolutionize the policies that are currently ripping the nation to pieces. Both alliances and enmities are forming, and it will be interesting to see who comes out with the greatest public support. As of now, the highest numbers lie in the hands of Trump, Clinton, and Bush, and all we know is that what is to come will affect each and every life in this country.


The author's comments:

Opinion in the new presidental candidates.