Gun Violence | Teen Ink

Gun Violence

September 30, 2015
By Anonymous

The call for stricter gun control has become a must in our society now-a-days. These weapons are too easily obtained by anyone, for any reason, and anywhere in the United States. Guns are one of the main and leading causes of violence. The United States is one of the easiest countries in which to purchase a firearm is an easy process. As an estimate there are 211 million firearms in circulation in the United States. (State)
To have access to a gun in the U.S there are only two legal options. Option one is to buy the gun from a dealer. In this case, the buyer must pass a background check to ensure they are not a prohibited purchaser. In most states, there is a second option, buying a gun from a private seller. Under this circumstance the background check isn’t required. Data shows that this is the escape by which the majority of criminals gain their firearms. (Kelli) A background check is the process of looking up and gathering criminal, commercial, and financial records for the individual that will purchase the firearm. (State) Overall this data demonstrates that there is nothing needed to legally buy a gun from a private seller. A full 40% of the guns in America are passed or given without a background check. In states that don’t require background checks, the majority of inmates had purchased their guns off the record from a private seller. (Kelli)


One of the most common firearms there exists are pistols, which are a handgun with the chamber integrated into the barrel. Modern pistols are classified as semi-automatic. They are standard issue for police and military use. The second most common are rifles; rifles are a firearm with a long barrel that causes the bullet to spin, increasing precision. They are mainly used by people who hunt and the military. A revolver is a handgun with a multiple-chamber cylinder attached to the barrel that rotates when shooting. The machine pistol is a fully-automatic handgun. They are similar to the submachine gun but the difference is that they are smaller.  These firearms are tightly regulated in the U.S. All of these guns are the ones mainly regulating our surroundings. (Harris) About 40% of households have them, a fraction that has been slowly decreasing over decades. However, the overall number of guns has increase to about one gun per person. (Kelli)


Laws are trying to impose a minimum age requirement for the possession and purchase of firearms, principally projected to decrease the access to firearms by young people. Being this the cause the effect would be to prevent and decrease the number of suicides, homicides, and unintentional shooting among population. (Lou)The irony of the federal law imposed for the minimum age for the possession of a gun is that for a long gun or rifle there is no minimum age. Twenty states and the District of Columbia have set their own minimum age laws ranging from 14 in Montana to 21 in Illinois. The other 30 remaining states it’s technically legal for a child to possess a long gun. However, this doesn’t mean a kid can enter a gun show and purchase one, but there parents can. Also it is perfectly legal in many states for a child to fire guns of all types at shooting ranges as long as an adult or instructor is present.  Although, licensed firearms dealers may not sell or deliver a handgun or long gun to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age. (Ferdman)


As an average, 31 Americans are murdered with guns every day and 151 are treated for gun assault in an emergency room, from which the death of nine people are under the age of 21. Every day 55 people commit suicide using a firearm, while other 46 people are shot or killed in an accident involving a gun. The U.S firearm homicide rate is 20 times higher than the combined rates of 22 countries that are out peers in wealth and population. (Stray)A gun art a household tends to more likely be used to kill or injure in a domestic homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting that to be used for self-defense. There were 8,583 homicides by firearms in 2011, out of 12,664 homicides in total according to the FBI. (Goss) More than two thirds of the homicides involve a firearm. All of these numbers are made without considering mass shooting. This term refers to an incident or attack involving multiple victims of gun violence. Mass killers use a semi-automatic handgun in 75% of the incidents; the guns are obtained legally in 79% of mass shootings. (Stray)
There are many different types of motive for mass murder ranging from revenge to despair to free-floating range at the world. There are three main explanations for the prevalence of gun violence in America. (State)As a result of the Newtown elementary school shooting psychology of the killer, violence in popular culture and access to guns has been under study. Mental health compared to other major developed countries, the United States does not have a high rate of people being treated for mental health after a mass shooting.  Culture in English youth is exposed to similar amounts of movie violence to Americans. Violent video games are also part. American culture is exported to other countries. But the gun homicide in the rate of the U.S is magnitudes higher. (Ferdman)


A new research also suggests that blacks are significantly more likely than whites to be gun homicide victims. Blacks are only about half form the whites to have a firearm in their home. Hispanics are less likely than blacks to be gun homicide victims and half as likely as whites to have a gun at home. (Goss)Regional differences emerge when race is factored into the analysis.  White southerners are significantly more likely to have a gun at home than whites in other regions. Blacks disproportionately live in the South and are only half as likely to have a gun at home as whites, the overall rate for the southern region falls to 38%. (State)
In conclusion, the United States is ranked as the main and leading country to have an easy access to a firearm. Leaving aside the U.S military equipment there are about 211 million guns regulating around the U.S. Most of these firearms are transferred without having a background check, which makes this issue so threating for our society. For every household there is a firearm for self-defense that at the end of the day is used for every matter, killing, assault, but not for the purpose it was originally purchased. The U.S. counts with 30 states that don’t have a minimum age to purchase a gun, now everyone has a gun and this is a serious manner that should start seeking for laws that will protect our society from suicide, assaults, and mass shootings from anyone that possess a firearm.

 

Bibliography
Ferdman, Roberto A. «The Washington Post .» 27 de 08 de             2014. In 30 states, a child can still legally own a rifle or           shotgun . 22 de 09 de 2015                       
Goss, Kristin. «Brady Campaing to Prevent Gun Violence .»             2006. About Gun Violence . 22 de 09 de 2015       
Harris, William. «HOW STUFF WORKS SCIENCE .» s.f. Top 5            Most Popular Guns . 22 de 09 de 2015 
Kelli. «BLOG .» 03 de 20 de 2013. Buying a Gun in America. 09         de 22 de 2015 
Lou, Micahel. «Law Centwe to Prevent Gun Violence.» 01 de 10         de 2013. Minimum Age to Purchase and Posses Firearms           Policy Summary. 22 de 09 de 2015 
State, Kent. «Kent State University .» s.f. Kent State University         Writing Commons . 22 de 09 de 2015 
Stray, Jonathan. «The Atlantic .» 04 de 02 de 2013. Gun                   Violence in America. 22 de 09 de 2015