Today's Media

I don't think that there's been a day where I've gone on You Tube and wasn't offended by something. I haven't turned on the TV to age-appropriate material in ages. I don't think I've ever listened through an entire song because they always talk about drugs, sex, money, etc. I'm even disgusted with books, which I used to love when they were appropriate. It drives me insane. Sometimes, I think I'm the only moral teenager around anymore, fighting the change from becoming someone else that I don't want to be. But why are the other youth of America the exact opposite of me? Am I a freak?

I don't know today's celebrities. I haven no clue of today's music artists. I get weird looks when I say that I never turn the TV on or use You Tube. But there are good reasons for this. I don't want to be corrupted- because what you listen to is eventually what you live out. I definitely don't want to live the kind of life portrayed in these songs- I don't want them to become my life. I like mine the way it is. You could say that I'm over-conservative, but no one put these ideas in my heads- nobody influenced them. It's just something that I've come to realize and something I've come to hold on to, something that makes me different.

I do listen to music and play music- classical and Christian hymns or Christian rock. But once I try to cross those lines I drew, I have to withdraw back into my self-created bubble of protection. People know I'm different and I tell them why- I'm a Christian and I'm not corrupted. At school, people tell dirty jokes and I'm the only one not laughing. I'm known for having 'an innocent mind.' But what do I do to make that happen? It doesn't come easily- but I just control one thing- the media I watch. What you see is what you think about, and so is what you hear. You can't just 'see the good parts' and overlook the bad- it's like intermingling trash with your food and still eating it. It just isn't done.

It's frustrating to think that I'm the only one that bothers to be so cautious. But no one's going to listen to me if it's just one person. I need help. If we don't change things, soon the youth of America will be entirely corrupted- and corrupt our country in the next generations to come.

Please.

Don't let this be America's future.

LadyWisdom98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 1:29 pm:
You, my friend, are sooooooo right. I barely watch TV anymore. It just hasn't been the same the turn of the decade.

Ddog said...
I loved this article. And don't worry... you are not the only one in the world who thinks about this. I am one too. But there are some TV programs out there that you could watch and that are not inappropriate. I watch these all the time.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:23 am:
okay as a book nut, tv watching, music loveing kind of person i have to say this article is almost completly wrong admittadly some songs are quite vulgar but there are tons that have no curseing or such. all most all YA books have nothing more than some violence and okay most of todays cartoons suck but thats for other reasons. i do agree with you on the dirty jokes that can be annoying.

pheebz88 said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm:
I like the article...it was very well written but I don't necessarily agree with it.  Not only are Christan's not all moral, but I don't think that you can go through your teenage years without being subjected to some kind of indecency.  If you do...you will be in for an even bigger suprise when you enter the adult world.  While I think that teenagers shouldn't be watching or reading or listening to everything out there...you need to have some of that in your life to prepare you.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
While I understand your opinion on the media (yes, it has gotten corrupted), you can't just not pay attention to any of it. That's censorship, even if it's self-inflicted. It doesn't mean you have to like it, but if you want to be educated you have to be exposed to offensive material. Sorry, but that's life.

CountryGothic said...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 9:07 am:
Read "Though None Go With Me" by Jerry B. Jenkins people!

CountryGothic said...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 9:03 am:
I agree and support you!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...

1. our country is already corrupt,  but not exactly by your standards

2. listen to immortal technique, and i mean REALLY listen, preferably point of no return, please

3. life is about seeing the good parts through the bad

4. and our media is definitely corrupt, but again not how you necessarrily suggested here

Bass93 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 6:23 pm:
I disagree almost completely with the article, the mind is like a immune system, you gotta be subjected to some amount of indecency to be fully equipped for the life that's ahead of you. There's no better time to develop this immune system than in your teen years. You don't have to go to extremes but its important to gain these kinds of experiences

smartypantsscorpio22 said...
May 1, 2010 at 7:57 am:

Yeah, I agree with this article... My article, Vanished Morals, is about the same stuff. Trust me, you're not alone in this. My high school right now has 10+ graduating seniors with children.. I think it's repulsive. The only thing I have to slightly disagree with, is the whole Jesus thing. You don't have to be a Christian to have morals. I mean, I don't believe, but yet, I have morals. It just depends on how you've been raised and what you expose yourself to. Like MySpace and FaceBook... (more »)

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 18, 2012 at 11:31 am :
I dont know a lot of the songs teens mostly listen to either to tell you the truth i didnt know how to pronouce Justin Bieber's name and i thought Taylor Swift was a guy 

forrestthecat said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm:
True, it is good to have Christian morals and not joke about dirty things, but not all music that is popular is bad music. In fact, I would disagree and say Youtube is full of videos that are not only informative (so informative almost all of my teachers use Youtube in their lectures at least once a week) but there are all different types of music that you have not discovered. Just because there are a lot of terrible songs does not mean all the songs on Youtube are terrible; and, just because ... (more »)

Montherieth said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:46 pm:
@ Previous commentators: Lol, being a Christian does not make you morally right, but anyways... @ Author: I agree with your sentiments about how messed up our media is. Blatantly spouting b/s like a pierced cow's intestine. Good work, and stay strong. You're not alone with your train of thought.

smartypantsscorpio22 replied...
May 1, 2010 at 7:59 am :
Tell me about it. Everyone in my school claims to be Christian and holy but yet.... There's 10+ pregnant, and I couldn't tell you how many that do immoral things... It's amazing. It's like they think-- I can do whatever I want during the week then! I'll go sit in Church and my sins will be washed away.... OH! Except for my Uhh.. 3 children and the 3 mothers... Oh! I can't wait to graduate.

bound4life4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm:
THIS IS THE BEST ARTICLE EVER! U R NOT ALONE! NO MATTER WHAT PPL TELL U ....DO NOT BACK DOWN! IM SOOO GLAD THAT I FOUND U! I ALMOST CRIED WHEN I READ THIS ND RELIZED IM NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE! JESUS IS MY KING ND HE ALWAYS WILL BE! plez keep writing more! i pray fro u nd that by them many ppl will relize what a perverted world we live in and that if we dont stop....nothing good will come out of it! plezplezplez email so i can share my work with u. i put up 2 pieces of work on teenink. the ... (more »)

mandapanda91 said...
I respect you for saying your truth, though I find it a major fallacy that because the media displays less than savory images, words, ect. that it will cause you to be immoral.

bethanibubbles said...
I like your article. It is true there is a lot of garbage on tv and other media but that doesn't mean that we should avoid the media. I'm a Christian and I still go to Youtube and read and watch tv. Does that make me a bad person because I like these things? No. I realize what is right and wrong. I'm just so close-minded I don't pay attention to the bad things very much. It's how I stay innocent. I like being innocent.

Chris E. said...
Jun. 26, 2009 at 11:39 pm:
I thinks it's pretty well written, but I dont agree. Born and raised Roman Catholic, I know whats right and wrong. I listen to music that sometimes involve themse like sex and drugs, but does that mean im going to be sexually indiscriminate and a druggie? I have my own ideas too, such as supporting gay rights and a womans right to choose. But does that mean I got those ideas from television and the media? No, I got them from life experiences.

13silentwishes said...
May 7, 2009 at 3:35 am:
ehhh... ok, so what your saying is that i am a corrupt, uncaring, disgusting peice of filth because i watch tv and go on YouTube? thanks. but seriously? i am Roman Catholic, born and raised and i go to church every sunday. i also go on youtube, watch tv, and hava facebook account. youtube does have some bad stuff, doesn't mean everyone who goes on it is a bad person; it is a great resource tool- i've used it to look up documentaries for school projects and new music that i otherwise woul... (more »)

rawritscloudia said...
May 4, 2009 at 11:08 pm:
I'm not sure I agree as much. I do agree that there are inappropriate things on YouTube, but I also have my own videos on the site, and know others who do to, and I find that it is a very useful site. Having a site with nothing to do with sex, drugs, or violence is pretty much unheard of anymore, and I know that it's not a great way to think of things, but it won't change. I do however think that you are missing out on alot if you feel that most of Youtube is inappropriate. Most of what... (more »)