Still Not Colorblind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

-Annie- said...
I absolutely LOVED this! It is so true, and you wrote it amazingly well. =]
Lanna8o9 said...
I thought this article was great- well written and very intelligent. It makes me a bit sad to see the ignorance of Americans yet still expanding.
whatever... said...
It's not a big deal to me. I think most people that voted for him voted for him to prove that they weren't racist. However voting for him specifically because he has a different skin color is racism too. Only against the other kind.'s neither a victory or a defeat. There was no one we were fighting.
artist22 said...

This article makes valid points in that the victory of Obama should be regarded as the victory of an American, regardless of his race. I agree that he should be judged as a typical president and the focus definately should not be on his skin color.

However, I believe that Obama's victory is also a sign of America's  continually growing steps towards racial and social equality, and his election is certainly a landmark not to be overlooked. It makes me a proud America... (more »)

KidB1963 said...
I truly disagree with this on many levels.  First, you really can't be trusted to provide any sort of view of how Obama's election relates to racism because you are so clearly opposed to Obama in the first place.  People criticize the media for being slanted not because it's true but because it's easy.  The only blatant exception is Fox News - conservative.  I supported Obama and I don't have a 'smug smirk' on my face.  Many people who voted for Obama are very critical o... (more »)
KidB1963 replied...
And the rest of my comment got cut off.  But seriously, if you believe this, I have nothing to say to you.  I am completely dumbfounded that such a radical, pointless, and racist piece got into Teen Ink, and even moreso that people agree with it.
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
ummmmm did you read the whole article, actually thought it was pretty fair
Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

'You really can't be trusted to provide any sort of view of how Obama's election relates to racism because you are so clearly opposed to Obama in the first place.' -KidB1963

Does this mean that the opinions of someone who disagrees with you don't matter? That someone who is an ardent supporter of Obama is more capable of seeing things objectively?

Your reasoning is flawed. He is entitled to his opinion and you to yours, no matter what your political affiliation is.

Lilliterra said...

I mostly agree with this article. I think there is only one race: the human race. I think that racism is highly uncommon in the United States, and that the only reason we still think it really exists is because the media publicizes any isolated incedents they can.

On the other hand I think there's nothing wrong with calling people "black" if they are, or "white" if they are. It's something obvious, that everyone can see, and it's part of your appearance. Are people embarrassed when the... (more »)

benji said...
I think it is difficult to say whether the celebration of Obama's election was race driven in a negative or positive way.  I am a biracial (half African American, half white) woman and though I did not participate in the election of the current president, I did find Obama's win slightly uplifting but hear me out on my reasons for this. As a woman, I am constantly met with glass ceilings and glass walls that keep me from progressing in this world whether it is in the career field, educa... (more »)
beautifuldisaster18 said...

I agree with you 100%.

(And this article was very well written.)

Wicked-princess said...
 I agree! I mean I didnt like obama before I even knew he was black! Who cares about skin! I mean its pigment.
whispersofthenight said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 11:34 am
I agree with you. Actually, around here, it's more like people think Obama will do a worse job, not better. I wish we could just ignore the racial issue. Great job on your article.
conversegirl23 said...
My thoughts exactly. Very well written article.
Esther V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this was such a well-written article. it seems like something that came right out of my history book but even better. i don't necessarily agree with everyone opinion in it but i always appreciate it when someone can articulate their point nicely. good job!
live-love-laugh said...
I agree! thanks so much for putting it into words! More than that, it's a really well-written article. I also feel like the NAACP is often more racist than most of America will ever be. Great job! keep writing :-)
Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:33 am
My feelings exactly. I don't think we can consider racism eliminated until we stop putting 'check race/ethnicity' bubbles on standardized tests, stop promoting people for the sake of 'diversity', and dissolve the NAACP (because there won't be a need for them if there's no more rascism).
Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:40 am
Wait, I'd better clarify that, just in case I accidentally offend anyone. Sorry. I do not mean that the NAACP should be dissolved. I mean that when it is, we'll know that racism is no longer an issue.
pixie5 said...
I disagree. Just because President Obama is another ethnicity, doesn't mean that's the only reason people like him. At 1st people saw his election as a step foward in history from struggling so much in a society to causing a positive change. But a president should be voted for by the type of person they are, not their race or gender for that matter. And yes, it was a victory for all Americans.
Stargirl212 said...

Seriously? People celebrated the election of President Barack Obama bacause it was a huge step towards eliminating racism; because yes, it still does exist. For centuries, many people have believed both women and people of different races are not smart enough somehow to hold any real position of power. Yes, there are black CEO's, yes, there are white hobos, but the only presidents of our country have been (generally) white men. Having a black president means that more than half of our country... (more »)