Still Not Colorblind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

CgWillis said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:10 am
Thanks so much for posting this!  I couldn't agree more with what you're saying here.  You expressed it perfectly and in a reasonable way that offends no one.  Good job!

nnjax7 said...
i completely agree with u, all the african american kids at my scool wear alot of obama merchendise like shirts and jackets, and theyre always saying how proud they are, but practically none of them know nothing about politics and don't even care of he's doing a good job, they just think he's automatically gonna make things better cuz hes the first black president, it annoys the **** out of me

Lletya said...
I hate how all the black kids in my school are always like "Obama won!  Woo hoo!  Take that you racists!"  They don't realize that they are kinda being racist too by rubbing it in and saying how great he is to be the first black president. I've been called racist because I've said. "I don't give a **** about it.  He won so what?  I think McCain shoulda won."  I do not care for politics but I think people are very racist by saying how great Obama is for being the fir... (more »)

Inkfan replied...

Amen, Brother Lletya!  Keep preachin'! :)

Jasperbobmel said...
I think it would be nice if we were all colorblind, in a sense... or maybe just all the same.  I wonder if the effects would be more positive or negative.  Either way, your point is well spoken and i agree one hundered percent.  We shouldn't look upon any other race as different in America.  Just as our founding fathers were, "dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal," i think we should live that way to.  Unfortunately, not enough people do i... (more »)

annaxananas said...
You made your point very well, and  I agree with you on many points. However, I believe that for many people, the reason they are celebrating a black man in the White House is not because they are under the impression he will be a better president because he is black, but because our nation has progressed to the point that we can elect this suitable president, despite the fact his race is different from many of ours. Let me rephrase, in the past our country would hav... (more »)

Hejlna replied...
totally, i completely agree

signed44 said...
I agree completely. You have a very eloquent way of wording things that gets your point across very efficiently. 

ErisRose said...
I totally agree with this. If our country was over racism we wouldn't have even noticed that he happened to be African American. It should have mattered whether or not he was doing a good job, not what color his skin is.

Suhyoon said...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 3:23 am

You really clarify a dubious perception!

But I must disagree with you that the best has been chosen in the years previous to this one. There are lots of reasons to this and the fact that corporations and Wall Street have so much power over the government is the major reason why. Which makes Obama's feat all the more incredible.

wildflowergirl said...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 6:41 am
I think this article is well stated. You have a real way with words.....and I agree with everything you have said about race. The only thing I disagree on is that the election turned out best for Americans.....but, I don't want to get into that. I still think you have a great talent and you have been an encouragement to me. Thank you and God bless.

wolfy said...
i fully agree with what you are saying i support you for going out and standing up for it we should off been oh yeah we have a new president ... because i did see that myself many people were taking there first oppinon on if he was going to be a good president just because of his race and that was a very incorrect way of looking at it ....but  i also think a little ok yes we have a black president was ok because he is the first one and it is showing the diffrences in america now but we cant... (more »)

gulljack said...
I  totally understand where you are coming from. I really like this story 

alayapoetgirl said...
I completely respect your point of view. However, I don't feel like you understand why the media was all over the idea of having an African American president. It wasn't about dividing races, it was about finally overcoming the hardships that African Americans have suffered in the past. Obama winning the election was a fine example, that African Americans can do anything they set their minds to. Isn't that a celebration in itself? If there's a Hispanic individual that becomes president in the fu... (more »)

Curly_Sue replied...
I see what you mean, but i have to add that if a hispanic person becomes president it would probably be a whole different story. There are too many hard feelings toward hispanics right now to be able to say that.

BlackSheep07 replied...
I understand what you're trying to say, but that is what Arron was addressing in there article. The fact that it shouldn't matter one way or another that he was African-American. We all have equal rights, and all victories should be treated equally.

Curly_Sue replied...
well said blacksheep

Essie said...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:11 am
You go, girl!

hrf1434 said...
Amen sister

7Ariel7 said...
AWESOME!!! you did an excellent job of proving a very touchy point. i agree and you completely andf am jealous that i didnt write this!!! :)