Still Not Colorblind | Teen Ink

Still Not Colorblind MAG

By Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina
Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I agree with some of the points in this article but not all of them. The reason why it was so remarkable that we have an African-American president was because for most of our nation's history, they have been oppressed. Obama's presidency shows that African-Americans have risen up. 

RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho

Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

You are quite right. I am not an Obama supporter, and during the '08 election when I voiced my dislike, I was hit over and over with "You must be a racist!" It was futile to explain that no, it was because I disagreed with his politics. Thank you for exposing us to a new viewpoint.

HeidiBo said...
on Mar. 20 2011 at 11:27 am
Though I agree we should focus on his ability to lead and not his race, it is quite naive to say that America is a land of equal opportunity.  Millions of teens across the country still recieve a segregated education similar to that before the civil rights movement. 

Beachgirl1 PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

"If You Don't Fight Back, You've Already Lost."
"Don't suppress Laughter, it goes to your thighs."

This is my point of view, but i have been too scared to right about it, cudos to you for doing so! Very well written!!!

I completely agree! You have voiced the idea of biased racism extremely well. Also, people view racism as anything that opposes someone of another race, but true racism is when someone purposely targets another because of their race.

Inkfan SILVER said...
Inkfan SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee

Age is irrelevant, because time is just a measurement!

Amen, Brother Lletya!  Keep preachin'! :)

Writer4Life_21 SILVER, No Where, Maryland

"If you don't know where your going, you will end up someplace else." - Yogi Bera

sorry i didnt mean to write this as a reply but as a new comment... sorry loulou 16

This was very well said. I am african american myself, and I hate it when my family says We have the first black president! I don't like when people say that they will not go to the school dance becuase only white people go to that dance. Racism still exists against both races and it is really annoying!!!!!!!

loulou16 BRONZE, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
this is amazing! i never thought of it that way before.

lollypops GOLD said...
lollypops GOLD, Pilot, Virginia

Live

this is really good i agree

CgWillis GOLD said...
on Feb. 17 2011 at 11:10 am
CgWillis GOLD, Racine, Wisconsin

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem. Got that?" --Coach Brevin.

"What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks so much for posting this!  I couldn't agree more with what you're saying here.  You expressed it perfectly and in a reasonable way that offends no one.  Good job!

nnjax7 said...
i completely agree with u, all the african american kids at my scool wear alot of obama merchendise like shirts and jackets, and theyre always saying how proud they are, but practically none of them know nothing about politics and don't even care of he's doing a good job, they just think he's automatically gonna make things better cuz hes the first black president, it annoys the **** out of me

Lletya BRONZE said...
Lletya BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

All we ever wanted you to be, is to be yourself! If everyone leaves the show that night feeling better about themselves, then we did our job. Its a social experiment, slash art project. We're trying to change the world and help alot of people. MCR

I hate how all the black kids in my school are always like "Obama won!  Woo hoo!  Take that you racists!"  They don't realize that they are kinda being racist too by rubbing it in and saying how great he is to be the first black president. I've been called racist because I've said. "I don't give a **** about it.  He won so what?  I think McCain shoulda won."  I do not care for politics but I think people are very racist by saying how great Obama is for being the first Black President.

Jasperbobmel BRONZE, Atascadero, California

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."
-MLK

I think it would be nice if we were all colorblind, in a sense... or maybe just all the same.  I wonder if the effects would be more positive or negative.  Either way, your point is well spoken and i agree one hundered percent.  We shouldn't look upon any other race as different in America.  Just as our founding fathers were, "dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal," i think we should live that way to.  Unfortunately, not enough people do in my opinion.

annaxananas BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio

You can cry because roses have thorns or rejoice because thorns have roses.
-Unknown

You made your point very well, and  I agree with you on many points. However, I believe that for many people, the reason they are celebrating a black man in the White House is not because they are under the impression he will be a better president because he is black, but because our nation has progressed to the point that we can elect this suitable president, despite the fact his race is different from many of ours. Let me rephrase, in the past our country would have never allowed a black man to get so far in such a major race, much less win it. That we have overcome our prejudice and not scoffed and scorned him as unable to run our great country because he is black is the real reason many celebrate the presidency of a black man.

signed44 SILVER, Waxhaw, North Carolina
I agree completely. You have a very eloquent way of wording things that gets your point across very efficiently. 

ErisRose DIAMOND, Ashburn, Virginia

Omnia vincit amor et nos cedamus amori- Love conquers all let us yield to love
Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, Bones Heal, Suck it up and dance!
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way

I totally agree with this. If our country was over racism we wouldn't have even noticed that he happened to be African American. It should have mattered whether or not he was doing a good job, not what color his skin is.

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Nov. 25 2010 at 3:23 am
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

"Prestige! Is that nothing, sir? The respect of fools, the astonishment of children, the envy of the rich, the scorn of the wise." BARNAVE

You really clarify a dubious perception!

But I must disagree with you that the best has been chosen in the years previous to this one. There are lots of reasons to this and the fact that corporations and Wall Street have so much power over the government is the major reason why. Which makes Obama's feat all the more incredible.

on Nov. 21 2010 at 6:41 am
CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina

"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."

- Pres. Ronald Reagan

I think this article is well stated. You have a real way with words.....and I agree with everything you have said about race. The only thing I disagree on is that the election turned out best for Americans.....but, I don't want to get into that. I still think you have a great talent and you have been an encouragement to me. Thank you and God bless.

wolfy said...
i fully agree with what you are saying i support you for going out and standing up for it we should off been oh yeah we have a new president ... because i did see that myself many people were taking there first oppinon on if he was going to be a good president just because of his race and that was a very incorrect way of looking at it ....but  i also think a little ok yes we have a black president was ok because he is the first one and it is showing the diffrences in america now but we cant feel he was going to be the best or better because of his race