Still Not Colorblind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

Suhyoon said...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 3:23 am:

You really clarify a dubious perception!

But I must disagree with you that the best has been chosen in the years previous to this one. There are lots of reasons to this and the fact that corporations and Wall Street have so much power over the government is the major reason why. Which makes Obama's feat all the more incredible.

wildflowergirl said...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 6:41 am:
I think this article is well stated. You have a real way with words.....and I agree with everything you have said about race. The only thing I disagree on is that the election turned out best for Americans.....but, I don't want to get into that. I still think you have a great talent and you have been an encouragement to me. Thank you and God bless.

wolfy said...
i fully agree with what you are saying i support you for going out and standing up for it we should off been oh yeah we have a new president ... because i did see that myself many people were taking there first oppinon on if he was going to be a good president just because of his race and that was a very incorrect way of looking at it ....but  i also think a little ok yes we have a black president was ok because he is the first one and it is showing the diffrences in america now but we cant... (more »)

gulljack said...
I  totally understand where you are coming from. I really like this story 

alayapoetgirl said...
I completely respect your point of view. However, I don't feel like you understand why the media was all over the idea of having an African American president. It wasn't about dividing races, it was about finally overcoming the hardships that African Americans have suffered in the past. Obama winning the election was a fine example, that African Americans can do anything they set their minds to. Isn't that a celebration in itself? If there's a Hispanic individual that becomes president in the fu... (more »)

Curly_Sue replied...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 4:30 pm :
I see what you mean, but i have to add that if a hispanic person becomes president it would probably be a whole different story. There are too many hard feelings toward hispanics right now to be able to say that.

BlackSheep07 replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm :
I understand what you're trying to say, but that is what Arron was addressing in there article. The fact that it shouldn't matter one way or another that he was African-American. We all have equal rights, and all victories should be treated equally.

Curly_Sue replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm :
well said blacksheep

Essie said...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:11 am:
You go, girl!

hrf1434 said...
Amen sister

7Ariel7 said...
AWESOME!!! you did an excellent job of proving a very touchy point. i agree and you completely andf am jealous that i didnt write this!!! :)

-Annie- said...
I absolutely LOVED this! It is so true, and you wrote it amazingly well. =]

Lanna8o9 said...
I thought this article was great- well written and very intelligent. It makes me a bit sad to see the ignorance of Americans yet still expanding.

whatever... said...
It's not a big deal to me. I think most people that voted for him voted for him to prove that they weren't racist. However voting for him specifically because he has a different skin color is racism too. Only against the other kind. So...it's neither a victory or a defeat. There was no one we were fighting.

artist22 said...

This article makes valid points in that the victory of Obama should be regarded as the victory of an American, regardless of his race. I agree that he should be judged as a typical president and the focus definately should not be on his skin color.

However, I believe that Obama's victory is also a sign of America's  continually growing steps towards racial and social equality, and his election is certainly a landmark not to be overlooked. It makes me a proud America... (more »)

KidB1963 said...
I truly disagree with this on many levels.  First, you really can't be trusted to provide any sort of view of how Obama's election relates to racism because you are so clearly opposed to Obama in the first place.  People criticize the media for being slanted not because it's true but because it's easy.  The only blatant exception is Fox News - conservative.  I supported Obama and I don't have a 'smug smirk' on my face.  Many people who voted for Obama are very critical o... (more »)

KidB1963 replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 9:05 pm :
And the rest of my comment got cut off.  But seriously, if you believe this, I have nothing to say to you.  I am completely dumbfounded that such a radical, pointless, and racist piece got into Teen Ink, and even moreso that people agree with it.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:55 pm :
ummmmm did you read the whole article, actually thought it was pretty fair

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm :

'You really can't be trusted to provide any sort of view of how Obama's election relates to racism because you are so clearly opposed to Obama in the first place.' -KidB1963

Does this mean that the opinions of someone who disagrees with you don't matter? That someone who is an ardent supporter of Obama is more capable of seeing things objectively?

Your reasoning is flawed. He is entitled to his opinion and you to yours, no matter what your political affiliation is.

Lilliterra said...

I mostly agree with this article. I think there is only one race: the human race. I think that racism is highly uncommon in the United States, and that the only reason we still think it really exists is because the media publicizes any isolated incedents they can.

On the other hand I think there's nothing wrong with calling people "black" if they are, or "white" if they are. It's something obvious, that everyone can see, and it's part of your appearance. Are people embarrassed when the... (more »)