Still Not Colorblind | Teen Ink

Still Not Colorblind MAG

January 31, 2009
By Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina
Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 214 comments.


Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Jul. 6 2011 at 7:11 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 897 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

Black people are certainly not the only people who were ever oppressed. Rwanda, Cambodia, Jews in the Holocaust...etc                                   But in this country, nobody was oppressed like African-Americans. African-Americans were the only slaves. 

Not true! People would say it was remarkable if a woman became president, or a member of any other race other than being Caucasian or a different religion other than Christanity. 

It's not being racist, it's because no one's ever done it before. 


on Jul. 6 2011 at 3:22 pm
Ariel_Berrot DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan
52 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack, pressed to the wall--Dying but fighting back." -Claude Mckay

yes i know what the word means -_- my point is black people werent the only ones who were opresses, so its not fair that people say its so impressive for them or whatever when they wouldnt say it for any other coler but black.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 6:15 pm
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon
14 articles 0 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
If ignorance is bliss, why is our country so complicated?

I agree with this article. The people were so focused on one change, they completely disregarded the more important change.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 5:17 pm
A.PaigeTurner, San Antonio, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 125 comments

Favorite Quote:
You think that everybody hates you. You should really stop that.- A Good Friend

I think that you are right and wrong.  It is a breakthrough that we have a black president.  However, I do think that we should concentrate on how good a job the President will do and not on his skin color.  Just remember, the job is hard.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 4:20 pm
freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina
15 articles 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

You're a good writer. But you're pretty close-minded and uneducated because if you weren't, then you'd know what he** African-Americans were put through and you'd wouldn't feel the way you do. Even if you don't like Obama, you should still honor the history he has made. That's how I see it.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 9:00 am
thesilentgirl BRONZE, Suwanee, Georgia
1 article 4 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Exactly!!!

on Jun. 29 2011 at 8:58 am
thesilentgirl BRONZE, Suwanee, Georgia
1 article 4 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

I agree!! I was thinking the same thing.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 8:36 am
writingmagic26 BRONZE, Eureka, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 34 comments
This is exactly what I was thinking during the election!  You have a really good way of analyzing the situatiopn, then clearly stating your opinion about it.  You're a great writer!  You provide good arguments, and know how to convince your audience. ^-^  Great job.   You should be a lawer.

on Jun. 7 2011 at 8:48 pm
redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 articles 5 photos 51 comments
It's really good, I'm sure many people never even thought of this.

on Jun. 7 2011 at 7:59 pm
K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa
2 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

This neverthought nver crossed my mind but i totally agree with you.

on May. 13 2011 at 9:22 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming
3 articles 4 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
i love you

same here.

on May. 13 2011 at 9:21 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming
3 articles 4 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
i love you

i actually don't quite agree with the last sentence but...... that doesn't really matter. as long as it's written well...

on May. 13 2011 at 9:19 pm
ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming
3 articles 4 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
i love you

I totally agree with this article. it's very well-written in a way that ppl shouldn't get offended by, and if they are offended they probably didn't read the whole thing. :) great job

Curly_Sue said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 4:26 pm
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 75 comments
well said blacksheep

on Apr. 24 2011 at 7:45 pm
BlackSheep07 BRONZE, Graham, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love look not with the eye, but with the mind, therefor winged cupid is painted blind."- William Shakespeare

I understand what you're trying to say, but that is what Arron was addressing in there article. The fact that it shouldn't matter one way or another that he was African-American. We all have equal rights, and all victories should be treated equally.

on Apr. 24 2011 at 7:41 pm
BlackSheep07 BRONZE, Graham, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love look not with the eye, but with the mind, therefor winged cupid is painted blind."- William Shakespeare

I think you are very right. I talked to many people who supported Obama when he was running, and a majority of them said they did not know his stance on any of the campain issues, but were voting for him simply because he was "Change" or that he represented a step forward for African-American rights. For me, seeing Obama win was a great failure of this country to me. Not because of my personal views on him, but because I think he won simply due to the fact he was African-American. Honestly, I do not mind if the person in the White House is not white, or green or gray for that matter. But I want them not to be there for there skin color, but for the policies. Anyways, I want to say congratualtions on a great article. 

on Apr. 24 2011 at 3:41 pm
rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia
12 articles 2 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney

This article is very well written- have you considered jorunalism?! I am complete and undisputed agerement with this- I'm tired of seeing all the campaisgn and ads and shirts that say "Obama is my homie', because no- Obama is not your homie, he doesn't even know who you are. Because in my polictical views I do not agree with Democratic points nor the new-age popular polictically correct mess, I am not a fan of Obama. I don't particularly care for McCain, but...Anyways, great job and thank you for being one of the people who takes a stand for what they beleive, even when they know they'll get a lot of negativity on it. Maybe if more people were like this, or would read this and actually take the time to understand it, our country would be in a much better position. Great job!

on Apr. 24 2011 at 1:58 pm
TragicMagic SILVER, Smiths Grove, Kentucky
8 articles 1 photo 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts...and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

this writing is so true.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Apr. 18 2011 at 4:07 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 897 comments

Favorite Quote:
You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

Not that they weren't as good!!! Where did you get that!!I used the word oppressed. No offence, but do you know what the word oppress means?

My point was this,

For most of our nation's history, African-Americans have been oppressed.

The election of a Black president shows that African-Americans have risen from oppression and prejudice.

That's all!!

True equality wouldn't care about race but unfortnately we havent't quite gotten there.But the election of a Black president shows that we are closer to a nation of true equality than ever before. I think, instead of saying, why are we talking abourt race?

Just say,

Amen.


on Apr. 18 2011 at 3:02 pm
Ariel_Berrot DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan
52 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack, pressed to the wall--Dying but fighting back." -Claude Mckay

So you say they werent as good because they hadnt had a black president? true equality wouldnt care left or right if hes black, white, pink, yellow, or green with orange polka dots!