Still Not Colorblind MAG

By Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina
Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

on Nov. 30 2011 at 12:03 pm
MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
Wow. I've never thought of it this way.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Nov. 12 2011 at 3:37 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

That is very true. That always comes to mind during Thanksgiving. We talked about this during Columbus Day in history class. Actually, someone in my history class is part Native American. Cool! I'm 1/32 Native American from my grandma on my mother's side.

on Nov. 11 2011 at 10:14 pm
freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

I see your point.

on Nov. 11 2011 at 5:47 pm
bookthief PLATINUM, Concord, Massachusetts

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." -- John W. Gardener

I find myself in the rare position of being an Obama supporter who really enjoys this article. It's true that in a truly nonracist society skin color wouldn't matter at all, but I think that one thing we can all agree on is that we're not there yet.  I think that racism/sexism/homophobia/antisemetism are still prevalent issues, both in terms of oppression of the minority and overglorifying the minority's fight (example: women are still disciminated against in the workforce, but there are many who categorize men as awful oppressors rather than trying for true equality).  Hopefully someday we will live in a world where not only do we have presidents of all different races, religions, and other backgrounds, but that we do not notice it as anything special.

on Nov. 11 2011 at 5:42 pm

I don't think the writer is close-minded or ignorant of the truly horrible history of the oppression of African-Americans, just trying to look at it from a different perspective, and I don't know that he dislikes Obama at all. I do agree with him in that it shows that we still place emphasis on race when we celebrate the fact that a member of a minority race has been elected President, but I also agree with you that it is exciting. My take on it is that I'm happy that people are recognizing discrimination, but need to work on overcoming it.

on Nov. 8 2011 at 2:05 pm
MagusEceerb SILVER, Buttville, South Carolina
I am part native American and would like to inform you that Black people were definitely NOT the only slaves.  The native American population was 95 percent wiped out and the rest were taken into slavery.  Black people were the next step after there weren't enough Native Americans to go around.

on Nov. 8 2011 at 9:09 am
Kidlet PLATINUM, Morris, Oklahoma

"No longer will they call you Desterted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; for the Lord will take delight in you, and your land will be married." -Isaiah 62:4

Bravo! I love this!

on Sep. 24 2011 at 5:30 pm
kaddancer BRONZE, Efland, North Carolina

"Someone once said; 'It's the good girls who keep the diaries, the bad girls don't have time.' Me? I just wanna live a life I'm gonna remember, even if I don't write it down." --Brooke Davis

These are my thoughts, exactly! I'm glad someone else gets it...

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Sep. 3 2011 at 11:03 pm
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

I love this dude.  When will people get it????

Hejlna BRONZE said...
on Aug. 12 2011 at 3:04 pm
Hejlna BRONZE, Portland, Maine
totally, i completely agree

xSeeUx SILVER said...
on Aug. 12 2011 at 10:49 am
xSeeUx SILVER, Ishpeming, Michigan

Just because your paranoid don't mean there not after you- Nirvana

i heard when Obama got elected parents were pointing out the color of his skin

turns out they were wrong to do that and making the notice his race instead of just thinking of him as a president

on Jul. 21 2011 at 1:51 pm
Me_Music_Love BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Well put. I applaud your ability  to create good literary opinion pieces.

ael429 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 11:10 am
ael429 BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
*gender discrimination

ael429 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 11:09 am
ael429 BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
This is well-written, and I agree with you in saying that we should be focusing on how obama is as a presdent instead of how he is as a black president. However, I think there is still discrimination in this country, and the fact that the majority of americans could overcome this is a reason for celebration. When we can overcome gender disctimation, it will be a reason to celebrate as well. Obama is not the first african american politician capable of being a great president, he is just the first to succeed in helping americans overcome racism...and that is worth celebrating.

bedbug BRONZE said...
on Jul. 10 2011 at 6:39 am
bedbug BRONZE, Seoul, Other

\"If you come to a fork in the road, take it.\" Yogi Berra. Also, \"Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.\" Courtesy of Hedy Lamarr

don't you think it's racist still:but the other way around. if you say anything bad about anyone black-oh, excuse me, African American, you get pounded in the face!

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Jul. 9 2011 at 5:09 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

True. Black People were certainly not the only oppressed people in the world. Jews in the Holocaust, Bosnia, Kosovo...etc

But Africans-Americans were the most oppressed people in people. They were the only ones who were slaves.

I don't exactly think it's about the color of your skin. People would say it would be impressive if a woman became president or a Jew became president. They talk about it because no one's ever done it before. Because in fact, beore Obama, we've never had anyone else for president other than a white, Christian, straight man.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Jul. 6 2011 at 7:11 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

Black people are certainly not the only people who were ever oppressed. Rwanda, Cambodia, Jews in the Holocaust...etc                                   But in this country, nobody was oppressed like African-Americans. African-Americans were the only slaves. 

Not true! People would say it was remarkable if a woman became president, or a member of any other race other than being Caucasian or a different religion other than Christanity. 

It's not being racist, it's because no one's ever done it before. 

on Jul. 6 2011 at 3:22 pm
Ariel_Berrot DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan

"Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack, pressed to the wall--Dying but fighting back." -Claude Mckay

yes i know what the word means -_- my point is black people werent the only ones who were opresses, so its not fair that people say its so impressive for them or whatever when they wouldnt say it for any other coler but black.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 6:15 pm
WishfulDoer GOLD, Portland, Oregon

If ignorance is bliss, why is our country so complicated?

I agree with this article. The people were so focused on one change, they completely disregarded the more important change.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 5:17 pm
A.PaigeTurner, San Antonio, Texas

You think that everybody hates you. You should really stop that.- A Good Friend

I think that you are right and wrong.  It is a breakthrough that we have a black president.  However, I do think that we should concentrate on how good a job the President will do and not on his skin color.  Just remember, the job is hard.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!