Still Not Colorblind This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

CelebrateDifferencesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:31 pm:
A frsh, new and unique perspective on the election. Great article!

Corin_WillowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 26 at 9:11 pm:
Alright, so here's the dealio. I totally agree with this article. In a sense. I felt weird saying "horray for Obama and african Americans (im caucasian by the way)" I mean ok we have the president, so what? My grandmother called monority groups colored and we all had shocked expressions. Ok to her this was news. She didn't know that people don't say "colored" anymore. My parents and she were puzzling about how to put it and i said, "Well, they're American... (more »)

AnInklingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 16 at 3:19 pm:
This is so true. Our nation will be much better when we learn not to jump from one extreme to another. We are all people, not matter our skin color, but racism is evident in our country from 97% of black colored people voted for a black colored president. 

DeathAngelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 4 at 9:35 am:
I know that it would seem stupid to just be proud of a man for the colour of is skin, but as a proud African-American I couldn't be happier. I know it seems like a backwards step to suport him for the colour of his skin, but I grew up earing stories about some of my closest family members being hosed down when they fought for rasial equality. Seeing my grandfather cry when they announced Obama won I could not have been so happy. My grandfather said it was for that night that he marched to ... (more »)

tishah said...
Jun. 19 at 12:30 am:
I agree with you that Obama being black does not make him a great president. Color obviously does not define someone's strengths & capabilities. But for me, I feel blessed and proud to have been alive to watch an African American be inaugurated into presidency.  It is in more ways than one an awing victory. 50 years ago, most African Americans probably wouldn't have believed that a man of their race could have possibly been elected president. The discrimination and prejudice the... (more »)

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 16 at 8:14 pm:
Awesome article :) Keep writing :)

The_girl_at_her_deskThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 3 at 2:06 pm:
you know thats politics. i happen to live in India and i every time i see people being selected or not selected on the basis of thier caste. As someone who has never experienced the hardships of the "lower" caste, i do feel that's wrong. but if i change my perspective a bit, put myself in thier shoes, i really do understand it.

wi234 said...
While some good points are made in this essay i feel you are deeply misguided. blacks in this nation still face discrimination and are not treated equally to think oherwise would be ignoring the facts. 

Jon H. said...
What is wrong with you? It's wrong to celebrate an African American becoming president? After so many years of strife, in a country where, at one point, black people weren't even allowed to read, a black man holds the highest possible postion you can obtain, and rejoicing about that is wrong? I know you said you didn't like people voting for Obama just cause he's black, but how much did that matter? Obama won because he was a better politician than Mccain. Obama won by a lar... (more »)

MaxineAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 28 at 11:56 am :
Actually.... The politician running has little to do with who wins, at least, that's how it appears to me. With the economy low and a Republican in office, the Republicans are blamed for the drop. Also, as someone mentioned above, 97% of African-Americans voted for Obama. I don't hold that against them, in their place I might've done the same thing. Also, a large number of Catholics are Republican, as that party is more favorable towards our beliefs. Since there was another party (on... (more »)

Desmothenes L. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm:
Finally... someone said it! Voting for Obama because he is black is just as bad as not voting for him because he is black.

SingingismylifeSYV said...
Jul. 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm:
Honestly, I feel this article could not have been better said! I have respect for Obama, but I think many voted him in for the WRONG reasons. I don't think color of skin should be this much of a shock to America! Hahah. Really great article though! 

Jon H. replied...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 10:14 pm :
your assumptions are idealistic. This would be completely true and color-blindness would be perfect if there was indeed equal opportunity. But, because of discrimination and inequality in history, we must, for the time being, acknowledge race and take steps toward undoing the inequality that has been woven into the fabric of our society and would otherwise continue even without active discrimination.

Esperanza18Brewer said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm:
Different people in the world receive the business loans from various creditors, because that's fast and easy.

FakesmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
There is nothing to say except you are a brilliant writer and have a rare point of view that others (including myself) can only dream of..... I can say that i would be HONORED to read a book that you write any say !!!!!!!!!!!

Jon H. replied...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 10:10 pm :
I bet you would, wouldn't you? You know who else would? All the other backwards, 'revese racism' believers. It's appaling, almost, for some people to see others succeed and think of it as a disadvantage to themselves. Obama won because he was a better politician than McCain. Quit making up excuses.

Oct. 28 at 12:02 pm :
You keep saying this, Jon, but as far as I've seen you have given no facts, only opinion. Maybe you could provide some proof that Obama is truly the greatest politician. I admit that he is a very talented speaker, but that doesn't mean that he is a very talented leader for our country. Give me proof in action, not words and promises, give me examples of things he has DONE, not things he could do. Give me a reason to vote for him next election time. I'll listen with an open mind.  

FakesmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 28 at 8:11 pm :
Jon, I'm not sure when I wrote that comment but I am sure at the time I wrote it I had been supporting Obama's message. I was simply praising the point of view and open opinions of this article. At the time I wasn't critisizing his work ethic, but as time has gone on he hasn't exactly proven himself worthy of his position. 

Oct. 29 at 11:02 am :
I completely agree. 

Anny_Grace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm:
Wow! Amzingly wirtten love your voice in it. And I applud you for speaking out, I feel just the same way. Hopefully you can bring this to attention. Great work!