Cake is a Constitutional Right | Teen Ink

Cake is a Constitutional Right

By Caitlin_Marie SILVER, Antioch, Illinois
Caitlin_Marie SILVER, Antioch, Illinois

Doing nothing is for the dead.

Recently courts in Colorado ruled that it was illegal for a christan baker to refuse service to a gay couple. His reason for the refusal? He did not believe in same sex marriages, and therefore would not bake a cake for a gay wedding.

As with many topics involving lgbt and religious issues this case drew international attention. Wheil some applauded the courts, others asked questions; why not just go to another bakery? Why create such a controversy? Many on social media claimed it was a violation of the bakers religious freedom.

The fact is that the baker was breaking the law by denying the couple's request for a wedding cake. While he can choose not to sell a product, such as a jewish or muslim owned deli not selling pork (a common argument among Facebook users), refusing a service to someone based on their sexual orientation is discrimination.

He could have previously sold cakes to the couple despite their sexuality, but the moment he refused a service he would provide for any other couple that walked through his door, was the moment he broke the law. Business owners have the right to sell what they want. They can not however limit who can buy said product.