Military's Paycheck | Teen Ink

Military's Paycheck

By Alyssa_G GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Alyssa_G GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Imagine we live in a country that has no military, no police officers and no protection. Would our country be six hundred billion dollars richer each year? Or would our country even exist? Throughout history the United States has had many problems with people, and with other countries. We have been in wars, battles and terrorist have attacked us. And we still encounter them, yet as a country we have survived these conflicts because of our military. The way I see it no country would be here today without a military. In my eyes military funding is a necessity in every country to keep the next one in line. According to BBC news the military is the world’s largest employer. This means that the military uses a lot of money, for protection, wages and technology. Statistics say that the military uses over a billion dollars for more than they need, according to an article by systematic disorder from WordPress in 2012, the military doesn't, because minimum wage is making the same as some soldiers, and the military uses money to make new technology to protect all the soldiers that protect us.

So the way the military works is that there is five branches. The Army, Air force, Marine Corps, Navy and the coast guard. All together there is over a million soldiers in the United States military. Each branch does something different, and there is a large amount of individual duties each soldier does. But their spending is all combined into one. According to Peter G. Peterson Foundation the United States is spending an average six hundred billion dollars on our military each year.

It may seem like a lot of money but America is not the only country in the world that has a military. America has ten thousand troops in Afghanistan, and more in Iraq just to be prepared. In the world we live in today violence is everywhere and our military helps to keep everybody in check. For example North Korea has threatened to strike the United States. What if one day North Korea does decide to strike us, and try to take over? And from budget cuts America doesn’t have the money to fight them; or to afford new technology to keep it from happening. Now I am not saying we need to increase our budget so we can spy on North Korea. But North Korea uses all of their money for military and if they try to attack another nation, it will end up in mass destruction. Nobody wants world destruction, not even North Korea. That’s why it is so crucial that we have to money to fund our military, because our military protects us.

If the military protects us then we need to return the favor by giving them a valuable wage. However from the military factory website, if someone is just getting in the military they are on a basic salary pay of fifteen hundred dollars a month. The first stage of the military ranking is a private, that’s less than two years of service. They make around eighteen thousand dollars a year. The reason I say we need to give back to the soldiers. Is because people working at a job for nine dollars an hour, is making the same amount as a private in the military. Therefore soldiers
are making two dollars more than your average McDonald’s worker. According to the salary website, in some states America has changed the minimum wage to fifteen dollars an hour. Those people working at fast food restaurants for fifteen dollars an hour are making twelve thousand dollars more a year, than our soldiers that risk their lives. Although the longer someone is in the military the higher ranking someone would be which means higher wages. Usually people are in for twenty years before retiring and if someone is in that long, and they
have met certain requirements they can make up to five thousand a month. That seems like someone can live well off of sixty thousand dollars a year. But a soldier's salary is not even close to the top of the list of salaries.
On Spotrac Sports website anybody can see every NFL football player’s salaries, and none of them are anywhere near fifty or sixty thousand. Every NFL player is getting at least one million dollars in their contract. A soldier can reach a million dollars if they add up how much they make for twenty years. So anybody can see that the American military doesn't spend much on soldiers, they spend it on new technology and equipment to protect their country.
Technology is changing the world. According to Harvard Business Review it says many countries are beginning to gain new technology before America is able to, due to newer engineering from China and Japan. Although other countries may be more advanced America has access to plenty, for example America has started using drones to carry out missions, according to the Procon Drones website. The first form of drones was from the Habsburg Austrian Empire when they let go two hundred balloons carrying bombs. Now America doesn’t use balloons to carry bombs, but they have remote controlled robots. By using these drones America has saved many lives and minimized the casualties. Another example is the new tanks inspired by the X-plane project, they have used to protect us. The military has come out with a new type of tank that I found on Fox News it is an eighty four ton ground-X combat vehicle. It has new upgrades that include, newly tested armor and new computer navigating systems. This tank also has the capability of carrying a nine man squad with new explosives. This does sound all exciting but the military uses them for combat. With all the soldiers we have everywhere protecting us I am glad we have a successful military.

In conclusion of my thoughts, I think that that no country should have to suffer without a military, every country should have one. I feel everybody can be protected in their country if they have protection. Throughout history the United States has been in plenty of conflicts, but because of our military we have been able to survive.  Even though we don’t have very fair wages, we still use our money for a good causes like new technology. Our government’s priority is to protect our country. Therefore our military budget is not too much, because we do not want to live in a world that North Korea runs. So for my ending question, do you think military funding is a necessity? My answer is yes.

My father was in the Military, so this means alot to me.