The Truth Behind the War | Teen Ink

The Truth Behind the War

By tmccoy BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
tmccoy BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

Can you stand witnessing your country fall apart? The destruction was something that the Vietnamese citizens should not  have to watch nor experience. The Vietnam War may have seemed like a good idea, but the truth is the Vietnam War should have been avoided.  For all the deaths,  the destruction of the economy and misplacement of people the Vietnam War was simply not worth it.

The Vietnam War should have been avoided because, it affected the health of citizens and soldiers in a negative way. Many of the pesticides that were used to destroy Vietnam's crops not only affected the crops they also affected the health of citizens and newborn babies. The chemicals had a long term effect on vietnamese babies such as some being born with two bodies or 3 arms. The dropping of car sized craters from bombs left large holes in the ground; therefore when it rained these craters would  fill up with water luring mosquitoes which caused diseases like malaria which causes a lot of health related issues.Malaria is a disease that no one should have to endure. The Vietnam War was not only a bad idea because of physical health, it affected Vietnam soldiers mentally as well. Many Vietnam War fighters developed post traumatic stress disorder ( PTSD) which is a mental disorder. PTSD would cause soldiers to recall an experience or trauma of war occasionally soldiers would re enact parts of the event and they may do something dangerous to harm others and themselves. All of the negative things people had to experience for one war was not worth it.

Most countries suffer economic problems after war; however Vietnam had more problem than usual. During the war Vietnam's’ infrastructure was destroyed. Most of Vietnam's destroyed infrastructure involved the businesses of the citizens. Being that businesses were destroyed or struggling many citizens left Vietnam and it made it hard for Vietnam to rebuild itself without the help from citizens.  Majority of Vietnam's crops were destroyed by the use of pesticides. The lack of crops really harmed Vietnam’s economy and affected the Vietnamese people.  

All of the reasons for avoiding the Vietnam War don’t stop here. The war may have seemed like a good idea until children were missing because their parents died in war or because children were simply misplaced because of attacks. Thousands of Vietnam kids were left as orphans from little as one to two years old many hardly remembered what their parents even looked  like. The Vietnam War also had an affect on children's education, because their school buildings were destroyed in war and not left in good condition for children to attend school. All this makes you think the Vietnam War really needed?

Based on all this information I hope this helped change how you think about the Vietnam War. The Vietnam War was not a good idea at all it was just a major heartbreak and setback for the people of Vietnam.  Even though Vietnam may have won the war the Vietnam War it is not winning if you look at  all the negative things that happened to Vietnam after the war. For whatever reason the Vietnam War  may have seemed like a good solution  but after looking at the negative outcomes from the war the Vietnam war should have been re-thought.

This peice gives people the truth about the vietnam war.  And it lets people kno that even though vietnam won the vietnam war it still scary and devestating effects on vietnam.