"Mary Jane" | Teen Ink

"Mary Jane"

By Chataz BRONZE, Pauls Valley, Oklahoma
Chataz BRONZE, Pauls Valley, Oklahoma

You may know it as "Mary Jane", grass, or pot. You definitely don't know it as being legal in Oklahoma. Since marijuana's first recorded use, dating back more than five thousand years ago, it has never gained much popularity until the last century with antiwar movements. Basic research will show that legalizing this plant can benefit our country wheater you smoke it or not.

Marijuana has been tested in so many different ways. Studies have found that it can help people with insomnia, multiple sclerosis, depression, asthma, epilepsy, glaucoma, and so much more. There are at least two active chemicals in marijuana that researchers think have medicinal applications. Those are cannabidiol (CBD)- which seems to impact the brain without a high- and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)- which has pain relieving (and other) properties.

According to a study published in Journal of the American Medical Association in January 2012, marijuana does not impair lung function and can even increase lung capacity. Researchers looking for risk factors of heart disease tested the lung function of 5,115 young adults over the course of 20 years. Tobacco smokers lost lung function over time, but pot smokers actually showed an increase in lung capacity.

Medical marijuana has many proven medical benefits. Many argue that medical marijuana also has negative connotations. While this may be true, the amount of negative side effects compared to positive is miniscule. Marijuana has less than 5 serious side effects compared to narcotics with pages full of side effects.

It is clear that marijuana should be legalized on both a civic and federal basis. There are so many benefits that could be brought out from this demonized plant. Boosting the economy is also something that the legalization of marijuana would carry. The choice, however lies in the hands of the government and the way of the people. May the odds be ever in your favor.